Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secretariat:Borderline ~ my first mix here
My first mix here.. I spent maybe 3 hours on this so far, and haven't had much time for playback other than headphones. Critiques welcome...

.mp3    03 Borderline.mp3 --  (Download: 10.42 MB)

Tried this one again.. getting closer I think
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. ~ E.K.
Hi ya, not bad mix. However the dynamics are a bit too loose. Also the vocal reverb is blending with the guitars and the rest of the mix the way that it's loosing definition. Someone said that a good mix is well balanced and a great mix is well defined....
Thanks
Juraj
(18-07-2014, 09:55 PM)Juraj Wrote: the dynamics are a bit too loose Juraj

thanks for giving it a listen. I've been told I over-compress, so this is an attempt to not do that. I'm not sure, other than just cranking down on it really hard, how to smooth out the guitar/quiet stuff with the full band/loud stuff..

here's a take with more limiting at the master bus.
That's better in a way. Only I can't hear distortion in places. You know well it's best to treated individually rather than as a whole mix. Don't be lazy ;-) The vocal 'disappears here and there. Also as overall your mix is not very warm what I feel this song requires, may be it's only personal taste.. Hey check out Jamolir's mix is really good.
(19-07-2014, 05:40 PM)Juraj Wrote: That's better in a way. Only I can't hear distortion in places. You know well it's best to treated individually rather than as a whole mix. Don't be lazy ;-) The vocal 'disappears here and there. Also as overall your mix is not very warm what I feel this song requires, may be it's only personal taste.. Hey check out Jamolir's mix is really good.

I already had done some compression on tracks and buses... i added some to the master. And the vocals do fade out too far to repair in places.. more than I care to do anyway. Not sure how to get warmth into this.. and I assume you meant you hear distortion. not 'not' hear it.
Yeah, :-) I can hear it not I can't hear it... sorry :-). Not that I'm an expert because surely I'm not I understand that the warmth is places in the lower mids. So by placing your acoustic guitars or any prominent instruments in that region should make it warmer. Your mix is quite prominent in the upper mids. Does that make sense? I struggle with it all the time. I don't mean to criticize your work only giving you some feedback plus I may be wrong ;-)
Take care
(19-07-2014, 11:27 PM)Juraj Wrote: Yeah, :-) I can hear it not I can't hear it... sorry :-). Not that I'm an expert because surely I'm not I understand that the warmth is places in the lower mids. So by placing your acoustic guitars or any prominent instruments in that region should make it warmer. Your mix is quite prominent in the upper mids. Does that make sense? I struggle with it all the time. I don't mean to criticize your work only giving you some feedback plus I may be wrong ;-)
Take care

I'm just getting started with mixing really. I tend toward too much compression and too much mid highs.. trying to work out cymbals, etc.. I appreciate the feedback.
Yeah no problem. I've been mixing for a little while now but still struggling with lots of stuff. I guess it takes hours and hours practising to improve.
All the best. Looking forward to hear more of your mixes in here.
take care
Tried another go at this.. reduced the compression all around.. played with some EQ... I think it's more open now.

.mp3    Borderline.mp3 --  (Download: 10.15 MB)