Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor Tapes - Shore (thelongestyear)
It's been a long time since my last mix.
Gotta do something. So, here's my mix of this song.
Cheers!

.mp3    Motor Tapes - Shore.mp3 --  (Download: 8.62 MB)

I really enjoyed this mix and think its pretty well balanced, maybe bgv's in chorus could be up a bit but that's more a personal preference than a criticism.

The only thing that struck me was that the lead vox in 1st verse is quite throaty and cracky on the phrase " I try for you". Some (more) automation to keep the lead vox clear of the backing track could be good too as occasionally it drops into the mix a bit.

Nice job overall

(20-09-2014, 04:26 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: I really enjoyed this mix and think its pretty well balanced, maybe bgv's in chorus could be up a bit but that's more a personal preference than a criticism.

Thank you! Yeah, that's kind of my thing to put backs in the back, if you'll pardon the pun.

(20-09-2014, 04:26 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: The only thing that struck me was that the lead vox in 1st verse is quite throaty and cracky on the phrase " I try for you".

Maybe it's because I chose "not the right" take (there're 2 takes for the lead vox in this session). The singer kinda goes into this whisper-singing a bit.

(20-09-2014, 04:26 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Some (more) automation to keep the lead vox clear of the backing track could be good too as occasionally it drops into the mix a bit.

Yes, that's absolutely true. I tried to approach this multitrack so many times so by the time I exported it I'd already gave up. The final version deals with this inconsistancy though.

Thank you for your feedback, HbGuitar!
Nice mix. The vibe fits the song.

Only complain would be that the cymbals are a little loud or have some frequency range thats overpowering them.
Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.
(21-09-2014, 10:21 PM)jeremias666 Wrote: Nice mix. The vibe fits the song.

Only complain would be that the cymbals are a little loud or have some frequency range thats overpowering them.

Thanks, jeremias666!
I know what you're talking about and you're right. In order to match the brightness of the vox I pulled a bit too much of HF on the overheads (9-10 kHz, I presume). It often occures to me as I usually go for the lead vocal first.