Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bannockburn (using all tracks)
well, here is my try to make this muddy kind of music more "hearable", while using all 43 tracks.

used tools:

a 30-day trial of presonus studio one 2 x64
(i´ve used no third party tools, just the pure DAW)

drums:
*kick - limiter, comp, EQ
*snare/toms - comp, EQ
*rest of the kit - EQ
*samples - no FX

drum-bus: just a very little reverb

bass:
*bass DI - comp, ampire (with 8x10 cab sim, crybaby wah, little tubedriver, EQ & verb)
*bass miced - no FX

bass- bus: no FX

synth:
*strings - comp, expander, EQ, rev & auto pan
*coir - bandcomp, EQ, ampire (with decent drive to get the choir better integrated in the sound, otherwise the entry of this track was to harsh & cutting)

vox:
*leadvox -no fx
*leadvoxdbl - comp, eq, dealy, ampire
*bvox1 - comp, EQ, ampire paned full left
*bvox2 - comp, rev paned full right

vox-bus - EQ

guit:
the hardest part imho Undecided the miced sound was so muddy so i decided to reamp the DI signals and use the miced ones only as support, mixed in just a little. attempted to mix it in a way you nearly can´t hear them when they are running but you will miss some bottom when they are muted.

*guitDI 1-4 - comp, ampire (paned hard left/right) using two different amp types and individual EQing
*guit DI 5-6(lead) - eypander, ampire, chorus (paned hard left/right)

guit DI bus - EQ

*guitmic1/2 (1-6) - no FX

guit mix bus - no FX

this is my secend song at all. so i´ll hope you enjoy it :-)

thrasher

p.s. ampire is a studio one built in amp/cab/stompbox simulation

.mp3    final one.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

I think the guitars sound pretty boxy, I'd look into cutting around 500Hz. Vocals are way too low in level too I think.
thx very much for your comment.

with the vox vol. you are right.
after relistening today (without stressed fluffy ears) they really sounds too low in level, probably not way too, but at least a little bit.

because the 500hz thing:
here is a screen, how the guit was EQed in my mixversion. can´t get more malus in this range :-(

Thumbnail(s)

(21-11-2012, 09:09 AM)Thrasher Wrote: thx very much for your comment.

with the vox vol. you are right.
after relistening today (without stressed fluffy ears) they really sounds too low in level, probably not way too, but at least a little bit.

because the 500hz thing:
here is a screen, how the guit was EQed in my mixversion. can´t get more malus in this range :-(

Yeah I do that a lot too... I always get caught up and forget to take regular breaks, so I only hear stuff after someone points it out Smile

Re guitars I listened again today on my studio monitors. They don't sound as boxy as they did on my Sennheiser headphones but still a bit boxy IMO. A lot of people suggest that you give a generous boost (around 15 db or so) with a narrow Q and move it around until the boxiness jumps out at you. That's where you cut. I do it all the time to isolate annoying frequencies and it never fails. I think you'll find it around 500Hz but I might be mistaken of course Smile
once more: thx a lot 4 your kind words.

done version 1.1 yet.

patchnotes:

*main vox - boosted vol.

*guit DI - (hopefully) fixed the boxy sound (hell yes, spinner003 you was damn right, freq was about 539Hz :-))

pls notice, this mix is just the second i ever. i´m a really beginner. additionally i only got a 30 bucks gaming headset and no reference system to listen to.

trying to do a version two with line 6 pod farm 2 for reamping.

cheers

edit: V2 done & attached

.mp3    final V1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

.mp3    final V2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

(22-11-2012, 09:01 AM)Thrasher Wrote: once more: thx a lot 4 your kind words.

done version 1.1 yet.

patchnotes:

*main vox - boosted vol.

*guit DI - (hopefully) fixed the boxy sound (hell yes, spinner003 you was damn right, freq was about 539Hz :-))

pls notice, this mix is just the second i ever. i´m a really beginner. additionally i only got a 30 bucks gaming headset and no reference system to listen to.

trying to do a version two with line 6 pod farm 2 for reamping.

cheers

edit: V2 done & attached

Yeah I think the guitar sounds much better in V2! You could also give it a very gentle boost around 3KHz to get that "satanic" edge