Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H
(21-07-2014, 11:02 PM)Voelund Wrote: Had another more detailed look at your explanation. I guess the trick is the little diffrence in delay time foolin the brain to belive it hears double number of delays, which it actually does, so why write foolin the brain.
Difference in delay time is the main trick I think. Modulation can have small bonus effect.

(21-07-2014, 11:02 PM)Voelund Wrote: Only modulation I have is Logics, with alghorhithms for drums, speak or vocal. I used vocal on the one mentioned above, also has a dry/wet mixer.
Here's some free modulation plugins to your arsenal:
http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Cat..._Freeware/

(21-07-2014, 11:02 PM)Voelund Wrote: I begin usin saturation on effect busses, it glues very nicely. Now I think about it I may have forgotten to do that on this one. Dang
But some of those subtle effects can be can be blurred by saturation. It would mean, that if you use it without saturation, then you don't need to add it so much.

(21-07-2014, 11:02 PM)Voelund Wrote: Do I understand you correct you ran the modulated delay with 200% widenin on one bus and a chorus on another, with dimension D like preset, and had a 16 note saturated delay (with feedback ?) before verb ?
Yes, three different busses.

(21-07-2014, 11:02 PM)Voelund Wrote: The delay before verb is rather new to me, I sometimes use a 200 ms delayd verb, no feedback.
Delay before verb offers many possibilities. You can blend dry and wet, you can use feedback etc. Lots of possibilites to tweak the verb-impulse signal. No standard predelay-setting offers that. And after that you can use verb with 100% setting or 63% or 10% setting etc. And all that can be done with simple basic plugins!

And if it by accident happens to sound good after tons of plugins in chain (it rarely happens), that's even more fun. It makes an illusion that also mixer makes creative decisions. Smile

(21-07-2014, 11:02 PM)Voelund Wrote: After using my 2 (old n cheap) hardware verbs as standard its only on occassion I have a 3rd verb.
You can print that hardware vocal reverb to one track. Then you can use the hardware with different settings on other tracks.

Hello,

When i heard your mix i immediately start to feel weird, it may be that, as many of the versions here , give too much attention on the drums and forgot the piano
(clearly a piano driven song), or maybe that you try to fit everything there and don't try to find what is important and get rid of the ''busy'' tracks.
Sometimes we forget that we are mixers and we know every part of the song, assuming anyone will hear anything we do, but unfortunately thats not the case, we have to make things stand out
and clearly for a reason and not to try separate everything and give them a bit tiny space, sometimes it may be the case but more often not.

The song it self is a huge challenge in many matters as the recording it self is pretty crap and may be someone give too much attention on eq that can forgot other more important things.

At that point i will like to say that i gave my truthful suggestions there and i find pretty disturbing when someone write to anyone that his mix is great, we are faaaaaar from greatness anyone here
some more than others, but the point is to grow and learn in every mix and not to boost our ego, for that you will never see me comment almost to noone and that is because there so many things that are wrong to write that i felt there is no point (plus i like the free time i get to hearing great mixes and not judge other mediocre )
.The best way to learn is by hearing stuff you like and try to figure out whats wrong with yours, mix by mix will be closer hearing more things and abandon failed approaches, hopefully at the end your style will show up.
(16-12-2014, 10:19 AM)gopener Wrote: When i heard your mix i immediately start to feel weird, it may be that, as many of the versions here , give too much attention on the drums and forgot the piano
(clearly a piano driven song), or maybe that you try to fit everything there and don't try to find what is important and get rid of the ''busy'' tracks.

Thanks for listening. I'm sure you're just right with your comments about my mix. For some reason I have a personal dislike of piano (unless it is played by Jerry Lee Lewis), so it easily happens to me that piano doesn’t get the right place in my mixes.

(16-12-2014, 10:19 AM)gopener Wrote: At that point i will like to say that i gave my truthful suggestions there and i find pretty disturbing when someone write to anyone that his mix is great, we are faaaaaar from greatness anyone here
some more than others, but the point is to grow and learn in every mix and not to boost our ego,

Actually you also brought up a very important topic. ”Good ”or ”great” compared to what standard?

The highest building in my town is probably 200 meters lower than the average in New York. But from that point of view if I show my town to turists, should I speak only with terms ”low, very low and extremely low building”? No! It would be quite difficult to use language that way. In natural language the words get their meaning from the natural context.

But do we have any meaning context in this forum. I would say no, again. At least I’m very quilty of using the same word ”great” with many meanings without specifying. Sometimes it’s ”compared to one’s previous mix”, sometimes ”compared to others’ mixes of the same song” or ”compared to your typical mixes that I’ve heard before”. And most of the time ”compared to nothing else, but as I happened to like it in this very moment I use word great”.

But, to make it more difficult, for example I cannot never use it as ”great when compared to professional standard”, as I’m not in position to make that kind of evaluations. If I were cabable of doing that good mixes, then I might be able to use it with that meaning.

As this is mainly a student and hobbyist forum I would guess that no-one who has made over 100 postings and is still active is not currently an audio professional. I guess we don’t have any other choice that each and every member must use word ”great” with different more or less meanings. Personnally I’m happy to hear honest and subjective comments from any member, no matter what his/her mixing experience level is. And when it comes to more detailed technical comments, I genrally tend to read more carefully those comments that are written by a member whose mixes I genrally like. You clearly belong to that category.

(16-12-2014, 10:19 AM)gopener Wrote: The best way to learn is by hearing stuff you like and try to figure out whats wrong with yours, mix by mix will be closer hearing more things and abandon failed approaches, hopefully at the end your style will show up.

I agree, but I think it's still quite useful and interesting to hear what other "non-professionals" have done with the same material than myself.

And then there are those rare moments if one has an access to multitrack material of a high quality published song. Then one can compare very carefully one’s own mix to the one made by real professional . And be a humble boy.