Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H
(20-07-2014, 10:58 PM)Voelund Wrote: Forgot: the vocal effect whatever it is sounds great. Fast delay modulated ?

I was experimenting with the new free eventide ultra channel plugin. My old computer couldn't run it smoothly as an inline plugin, so I duplicated the vocal track and burned the stereo micro pitch shift effect to the file. And after that I could use the effect in parallel without any cpu-problems.

Otherwise I didn't do too much with vocals. Well, just checked, I did add some modulated delay and some chorus. You amaze me with your ability to hear and detect modulation effects. This was not the first time you did it. I need to use bx_solo to isolate some stereo effects Smile

(20-07-2014, 10:58 PM)Voelund Wrote: In soft part before outro, before drums, the one with only piano and voicd I took away most effect on vocal and dropped lvl few dBs. To my ears vocal is too moud just thrre

I agree. It's still too loud although I do have an automation there already.

Lol just a lucky guess on my part :-)
Dont cry, you can run the plugin, I have this old computer runnin middleage OS and it cant even activate my waves plugins anymore, unless I update OS and Logic.
We have a saying in my language, translated somthin like naked woman learn how to make clothes.
I make the sound i want runnin the plugins I have handy. You bouncin the track to make song run smoothly show you know what Im talkin about Big Grin

Really like that effect though. Would you reveal the delay time and modulation settings ?
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(21-07-2014, 12:30 PM)Voelund Wrote: Really like that effect though. Would you reveal the delay time and modulation settings ?

Sure, I'm glad to share any tricks I've learned if someone asks.
Modulated delay, main idea:
LEFT: 16th note -3 %
RIGHT: 16th note +3 %
Nothing magic with the numbers as long as they're sligtly different. Check the image

Thumbnail(s)

In the same buss I had also free bx_solo plugin with stereo-width 200%. (Most of my plugin are free. After a long consideration time so far I've bought only couple of plugins) But the delay works nicely also without it.
Chorus is made with ValhallaDSP UberMod plugin. (THat's one of those plugins that I've bought (50$)) Preset dimchorus8. There is about 30 settings in that plugin, and most of them don't say anything to me. I'm not sure but I think that the settings are inspirated by sound of roland dimension d -plugin.
And now that I'm checking things, I noticed that I'm also using 16th note tape delay before Valhalla reverb. Well, actually I don't have tape delay plugin, but I'm using about the same delay plugin setting that I've mentioned before with lots of saturation (TapeHead) as an an impulse to ValhallaRoom.

Now I've listed most of the plugins that I've bought during these years. Smile
Cool. Thx for clearin that up. I take it you set tempo to double what Mike mention in the "about" file ?
Sounds much faster than 16th.
Nothin in your plugin chain Logics stock plugins cant do. Not that it will sound like that, but I know what to aim for. Thx

I had a verb under lead vocal, pitched up an octave and blended with unpitched 50/50. Cant hear it, but its clearer when present Big Grin

So many tricks ...
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(21-07-2014, 03:32 PM)Voelund Wrote: Cool. Thx for clearin that up. I take it you set tempo to double what Mike mention in the "about" file ?
Sounds much faster than 16th.

Now that you mentioned it I checked and noticed that I really had used double time, but only with that modulated delay plugin. You can see in the image that I have set the tempo setting there to 120. (Well, it's not exact double but almost) But the end results in this case is around 120-130 ms as you can see from the plugin settings' image. I don't think that the synced tempo in this case has nothing to do with the effect. It should be suitably fast but slightly different in left and right channels.

(21-07-2014, 03:32 PM)Voelund Wrote: Nothin in your plugin chain Logics stock plugins cant do. Not that it will sound like that, but I know what to aim for. Thx
I mainly like to use basic plugins, and try to combine them in new ways.

(21-07-2014, 03:32 PM)Voelund Wrote: I had a verb under lead vocal, pitched up an octave and blended with unpitched 50/50. Cant hear it, but its clearer when present Big Grin
That's a cool trick. I must try that. What plugin are you using to pitch up an octave. The one in ProTools is quite bad.

(21-07-2014, 03:32 PM)Voelund Wrote: So many tricks ...
I think it's much more fun to do an advanced trick with many basic plugins than with one dedicated expensive plugin of which I don't know what's happening inside of it. Although... I'm sure I would think differently if I had more money and if I tried to make money with music. Smile
Really nice, Olli. Bass sounds great.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Had another more detailed look at your explanation. I guess the trick is the little diffrence in delay time foolin the brain to belive it hears double number of delays, which it actually does, so why write foolin the brain. Cool plugin that
I can make same effect usin 2 mono busses panned and delay and modulation after that
Only modulation I have is Logics, with alghorhithms for drums, speak or vocal. I used vocal on the one mentioned above, also has a dry/wet mixer.
I begin usin saturation on effect busses, it glues very nicely. Now I think about it I may have forgotten to do that on this one. Dang

Do I understand you correct you ran the modulated delay with 200% widenin on one bus and a chorus on another, with dimension D like preset, and had a 16 note saturated delay (with feedback ?) before verb ?
The delay before verb is rather new to me, I sometimes use a 200 ms delayd verb, no feedback.
After using my 2 (old n cheap) hardware verbs as standard its only on occassion I have a 3rd verb.

Like you I find it satisfying to define what a certain plugin does, like the M/S and find ways to do it with what I have.