Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AM Contra: Heart Peripheral mix
I am a student who decided to mix this song for an assignment. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

.mp3    Heart Peripheral.mp3 --  (Download: 3.17 MB)

(20-11-2012, 05:03 AM)Price6145 Wrote: I am a student who decided to mix this song for an assignment. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Synth Reverb has nice tail, but the volume could benefit by being turned down some.
Very nice open snare sound. Lends itself to somewhat of a "sticked" and "brushed" sound combined.
Vocal reverbs are very smooth and the tails are nice. They could also benefit by being turned down a bit.
Drum loop in the bridge area is higher than the drums in other parts of the song.
Not a bad mix, just needs a few tweaks.
Also,listen to the actual release to take cues from the creative things you can do to instruments via delays.
Your balancing seems reasonable enough, but the main thing I'm missing is a sense of excitement, and it's tricky to advise what might give you that! Here are some ideas: get some compression going on the buss and give the kick a bit more 80Hz thud and overall level so that it pumps the mix a bit; be a bit more selective about what gets effects and what doesn't (this is electronica, so there's no necessity to have any effects at all); give the bass a bit less rumble and fizz, and a bit more 700Hz attitude; give the rhythmic synth parts a bit more transient and some stereo rhythmic delay interest; widen the pads for the chorus and EQ them a bit more aggressively to keep them out of the way of other parts; make the most of fills like 1:03 by muting lots of tracks and effects returns abruptly for them; and make more contrast for the middle section at 2:00.

Not sure whether any of that helps, but if not then maybe a more general suggestion would help encapsulate it better: as I listener I want to be thrown around a bit more by you, the engineer. Don't let me just sit there and relax -- demand my attention and take me by surprise! I'll only get complacent otherwise... Smile