Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Chris' Mix
I chose this song to mix for a graduate course assignment.

.mp3    Zeno_Signs.mp3 --  (Download: 9 MB)

Intrigued that this is a graduate course assignment! Smile I'm only listening to this on my little PC speakers at the moment, but you've clearly made a lot of good decisions here in terms of the balance, and there's not a lot I'd say about the backing balance other than 'keep doing what you're doing'.

The main concern I have is to do with the vocals. Firstly, they don't really arrest my attention enough at the start of each verse -- not a good idea with a chart style like this. This is partly just a question of level, but also that there doesn't seem to be quite enough 1-2kHz in the tone, I think, relatively speaking. And, secondly, the chorus vocals are undermining the illusion of power in the backing. They're too full-sounding and not well-enough blended to feel like the band's 'around' them -- they sound rather 'stuck on', a bit like a karaoke. Some more carefully-EQ'd short effects and some low cut to the overall tone could do wonders there, I think, and you might also just bring the fader down slightly too.

Are you expected to engage with tuning/timing issues for this project? If so, then I'd say the lead vocals still need some work in this regard, and the middle-section seems to slow down subjectively too, which doesn't feel right. (That said, this was something I never quite solved in my version either!)
(20-11-2012, 07:54 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: Intrigued that this is a graduate course assignment! Smile I'm only listening to this on my little PC speakers at the moment, but you've clearly made a lot of good decisions here in terms of the balance, and there's not a lot I'd say about the backing balance other than 'keep doing what you're doing'.

The main concern I have is to do with the vocals. Firstly, they don't really arrest my attention enough at the start of each verse -- not a good idea with a chart style like this. This is partly just a question of level, but also that there doesn't seem to be quite enough 1-2kHz in the tone, I think, relatively speaking. And, secondly, the chorus vocals are undermining the illusion of power in the backing. They're too full-sounding and not well-enough blended to feel like the band's 'around' them -- they sound rather 'stuck on', a bit like a karaoke. Some more carefully-EQ'd short effects and some low cut to the overall tone could do wonders there, I think, and you might also just bring the fader down slightly too.

Are you expected to engage with tuning/timing issues for this project? If so, then I'd say the lead vocals still need some work in this regard, and the middle-section seems to slow down subjectively too, which doesn't feel right. (That said, this was something I never quite solved in my version either!)

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes I'm still a little unsure about the sound and levels of the vocals - I'll have to work on them a little further but I appreciate the direction you've given me. Think I'll step away from it for a few days to get a fresh perspective!
Hey, glad to see someone else decided to tackle this song. I like it a lot and may give it another try. My first attempt at this song was several months ago and I totally failed.

Good job mate. I think Mike's suggestions will make your version even better.