Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We'll Talk About It All Tonight
Ditching the horns hurt Sad but the samples sounded like a cheap casio and I couldn't get the midi data to cooperate with me for some reason.

But DAMN does this guy have a great voice. Hopefully I did this wonderful song some justice.

.mp3    Talk About It Master-001.mp3 --  (Download: 8.85 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Good mix ,very hard song to mix this.i think the harmonica could come up a bit its fine at the start ,and also the glok as its a main melody part that
pushes the feel of the track.The backing vox could also come up a bit to push the chorus.
It sort of sounds like you are trying too hard on balance and some things are suffering .
Very good work tho in many ways and the lead vox sound great.
(02-07-2014, 12:06 AM)takka360 Wrote: Good mix ,very hard song to mix this.i think the harmonica could come up a bit its fine at the start ,and also the glok as its a main melody part that
pushes the feel of the track.The backing vox could also come up a bit to push the chorus.
It sort of sounds like you are trying too hard on balance and some things are suffering .
Very good work tho in many ways and the lead vox sound great.

Thanks for feedback. I agree with your observations... a lot of the problems I'm hearing are the sorts you always hear a day after you mix something with fresh ears. The bass sounds way too heavily compressed to me. The kick drums on this song are real pigs to balance with the bass, and I think my multiband during mastering mangled some bits.
Try see how you get on with sidechain on the bass and kick,mixing is hard full stop we all have days when you feel like you are going backwards its
just the nature of the beast mate.It takes years and even then its still hit a miss for pro mixers.
(02-07-2014, 02:52 AM)takka360 Wrote: Try see how you get on with sidechain on the bass and kick,mixing is hard full stop we all have days when you feel like you are going backwards its
just the nature of the beast mate.It takes years and even then its still hit a miss for pro mixers.

Great encouragement and advice, Alan. This one does sound like a tough one ... you've gotten off to a great start, Pauli.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
(02-07-2014, 04:54 AM)bmullen Wrote:
(02-07-2014, 02:52 AM)takka360 Wrote: Try see how you get on with sidechain on the bass and kick,mixing is hard full stop we all have days when you feel like you are going backwards its

Great encouragement and advice, Alan. This one does sound like a tough one ... you've gotten off to a great start, Pauli.

Thanks man. I'd be interested in hearing your take on this one... you and Alan always seem to get great drum sounds, and the drums on this one are killing me.

I checked my mix against my master with the volume matched, and I'm not sure what I was thinking in the mastering process, but the pre-master sounds way better. This song probably just doesn't need much compression.
It takes years and even then its still hit a miss for pro mixers (WE ONLY HEAR THEIR GOOD MIXES)
I like the vocal sound and overall balance. Also guitar sound comes to my ears as very nice.

As you mentioned I also feel that something is wrong with your drum sound. Especially the groove created by kick and snare. I think that spoils the mix. It should be cured with just a eq.

As takka mentioned harmonica is quite shy. Also the horns and harmonica in the end of song blend into one instrument. Maybe some separation there could be fine.

But still I think, that you could made this very good quite easily.
(04-07-2014, 12:44 PM)Olli H Wrote: I like the vocal sound and overall balance. Also guitar sound comes to my ears as very nice.

As you mentioned I also feel that something is wrong with your drum sound. Especially the groove created by kick and snare. I think that spoils the mix. It should be cured with just a eq.

As takka mentioned harmonica is quite shy. Also the horns and harmonica in the end of song blend into one instrument. Maybe some separation there could be fine.

But still I think, that you could made this very good quite easily.

Thanks for feedback, Olli Smile The drums on this song are really frustrating to mix. I think the harmonica is dipping out in the fuller parts because there's a cut somewhere in the high frequencies where it was distracting to me, so I'll have to give that another look. And you're not hearing the horns because I deleted them Sad I didn't like the way they sounded... almost like a cheap knockaround keyboard. I have really good samples I wanted to use to replace them but the midi data supplied with the project doesn't line up with the audio for some reason...
great vocals on this...one of the best i think I've heard from you. Not sure how much automation you have, but maybe a db or so on the last phrase of the final chorus as it sinks a little into the mix

Drums ..well what can i say....i think every song we mix has shocking drum tracks...mike is a devil....but the old ducking trick between kick and bass that takka mentioned has helped me no end on the last half dozen or so mixes that Ive done ..

good work