Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japan Song Mix
This is my mix for Japan Song. This song is my 5th or 6th mix. I used Sonar X1 as my DAW. For the most part I stuck with the default plug-ins, although I did use a Waves E.Q. here and there when I needed a 10-band E.Q.

I started out with the drums. Coming from a metal background myself, I like to hear the kick and snare cut through pretty much everything else, so I did my best by replacing the kick and snare tracks with Superior Drummer 2.0. I did the same for the toms, I just enjoy the sound of Superior quite a lot. Made a send for both the kick and snare to a compressor, squashed the crap out of them, and blended them in low in the mix. I also set up a side chain on the vocals, guitar, bass, cello parts and sent the kick and snare to them. Just 1 or 2 dB of gain reduction.

The vocals I tried to get as loud as possible because they seemed to be the quietest tracks. I don't like super washy reverb on the vocals so I blended the reverb way down, e.q.'d out where the snare and kick where, and gave it a bump in the presence range.

The bass I didn't really do too much to. Just some basic compression and gave it quite a bit of high end. Cut out where the body of the snare was.

The guitars were quite tricky, I didn't care for the tone of them but I don't know how to re-amp the DI signals, so I just did my best at E.Q. and compression to get them to sit okay. Some automation between the verse and chorus.

I gave the cello parts quite a bit of high-end e.q. treatment, although now that I listen to it again maybe it could have used a bit more. Gave it some basic compression and a touch of reverb. Oh well, I don't have much experience with those types of instruments. Maybe next song that has a part similar to that will be better...

Let me know what you think of my mix! Any feedback is appreciated.

.mp3    Japan Song Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 4.44 MB)