Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semantics by Blitzzz - Foo Fighters style with a little bit of Tool in the end
Hey guys,

a new mix, lots of free time on my hand and a new plugin to check (TSAR-1R). what a perfect match that is =)

this song was a beast and quite hard to tame. it took me some time to analyze all the tracks an decide what was good and what had to go. as usual I heavily relied on Slate and UAD plugins: Slates VCC on all channels (SSL Emulation), VBC for a tiny little bit of bus compression on the guitar bus (FG-MU), drum bus (FG-Red), vocal bus (FG-Red) and on the stereo bus (FG-Grey), VTM on the stereo bus too and on the drum buss and finally FG-X on the master bus to make it loud. Space Echo for fx, Softubes TSAR-1R for reverb and UAD's SSL-Channel on every single track. I like the idea of working with a "virtual" ssl console so I put the SSL-Channel on every track even when i don't use it.

other things i did:

- My goal was to use the original drum tracks for this song. At all cost. No matter how shitty they sound. But I wasn't strong enough and failed =) It wasn't because the tracks sounded bad. they had all kinds of technical probs, e.g. the room is not really in sync with the rest. so after messing around with the drums for an hour or so I kept the overheads, the hihat and the room and used samples (trigger) for the rest. btw: I still had to kill everything below 2k on the OHs to make the drums sound good.

- i only use the original room track in the intro. The TSAR-1R has a great drum room reverb so i used that one in the mix to give the drums some sort of space

- jezuz, how many tracks can you record for a simple rock song? =) I tried to keep it simple and deleted a lot of stuff in the mixing process.

- so yeah, this song was my TSAR-1R (reverb) testing ground. I think I´ll buy that little plugin from softube because it was so easy to dial in good reverbs. I was using UADs EMT 140 for the last couple of years but I just can't hear it anymore. I´m not a guy who changes his favorite plugins every week - I stick to the plugs i love and know from the inside out. But I was looking for a reverb that gets the job done fast and the TSAR-1R looks promising so far.

- My reference mix was "Pretender" from the almigthy Foo Fighters.

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    Semantics.mp3 --  (Download: 10.39 MB)

Good mix.

The voice feels a little to dry.

And that kick drum is not bad sound but it feels more suited to a metal song than a modern rock song. A sound with less beater definition and more weight would work way better in my opinion.
Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.