Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaf- Come Around
This is my mix of Come Around. Hope you enjoy it Smile

.mp3    Leaf- Come Around.mp3 --  (Download: 9.75 MB)

Awesome job on the guitars, although the first note really spooked me out of my chair. I've had the same problem mixing some of my brothers songs and I'm not sure what to do about abrupt starts like that other than tone down the instrument until the first verse. Maybe bring out the background vocals more in the choruses too. It sounds like the background singer is shy. Wink The guitar in the bridge might be a tad too loud, because I was really glad when it stopped. Don't get me wrong, it sounded good, but just seemed to poke at my ear drums form some reason.

You did a nice job. I'm not sure if I can match you or not, but may give it a try. I like this song.
(28-11-2012, 05:15 AM)DanUpdegraff Wrote: Awesome job on the guitars, although the first note really spooked me out of my chair. I've had the same problem mixing some of my brothers songs and I'm not sure what to do about abrupt starts like that other than tone down the instrument until the first verse. Maybe bring out the background vocals more in the choruses too. It sounds like the background singer is shy. Wink The guitar in the bridge might be a tad too loud, because I was really glad when it stopped. Don't get me wrong, it sounded good, but just seemed to poke at my ear drums form some reason.

You did a nice job. I'm not sure if I can match you or not, but may give it a try. I like this song.

Cheers for the feedback mate. Yea I was kind of going for that spooky vibe, her vocals and the guitars gave me that impression and it was a different angle to the reference mix. The guitar in the bridge sounds a bit harsh coz of the eqing I'm pretty sure, I may have to scoop out some of the high mids. Good luck with your mix!

Chris
The verses have a great open feel here, and the vocal comes across with a lovely breathy clarity. I like the way you've dealt with the loop too, and the kick in particular is very appealing.

However, when you hit the chorus it doesn't really deliver on the promise of the verse for me, which makes me wonder whether you mixed this track from start to finish and ran out of ideas when you got to the chorus. Smile I'd try to make more of the guitars there, and maybe supplement the drums with something to open the sound out and signal to everyone that the chorus is really here. It's not easy here, though, I'll concede, because you don't have a tremendous amount to work with. If I did this mix again, I have to say I'd probably add more things to it to try to get those long-term dynamics going properly.

The lead vocal in the choruses could probably benefit from some different EQ for when she shifts out of her breathy delivery into the more strident chest voice -- it's coming across rather abrasive at 3.5kHz, especially in conjunction with the guitars at those moments, which also use that zone for their own 'bite'.