Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mathematician Mixed by Rickaudio Music
Hi Big Grin

Here is my mix. I use a little different approach regarding the focus of attention in the mix. I hope you people like it.

.mp3    Mathematician.mp3 --  (Download: 12.59 MB)

Feedback are welcome.
sorry Big Grin
From production view i like how you cleaned up the mids: Now I got a bit more room for few further FX here and there (as it's some sort of trance) or another instrument...
but i would try to keep it still as minimum possible...

From mastering / mixing aspects I really like the low end now (maybe also co-effect of the low-mid-cleaning) tight and clean as it should be Wink
the snare / clap could have some tiny reverb (the send highpassed), but i guess that's a matter of taste...

For now i can't say much more - I will give it a listen on different monitors /phones and compare it to Andrea's version and mine.
give me some days...

and thanks! Smile
cheers
Thanks for the feedback.
And thanks for the opportunity to work on your music.
I appreciate it and I know every body in this community feel the same.
:-)
and I really appreciate your words :-)

Ok, I have to revise my above comment about the snare... (when i wrote it, I only compared only few seconds in the middle of the mix A to B ... I should look at the raw multi-track again... was it a snare and a clap? ;-) )
so now I think the snare /clap changes well over time. Sometimes more dry, sometimes wet... I like it.

Furthermore I noticed one mistake on my track (by me): I wanted to have an alternating snare with one short and one long decay... but not all the time... some parts should have consistent decays^^

Anyhow, I still really like it, it sounds great, but it should get a lot more intense towards the end (or continuously increase, see page 120, if you own the book)
so... one idea I have in mind is to make it more "dirty" (e.g. distortion) during the time. (I guess it's more an arrangement- than a mixing-question)

And after listening it like 1000 times now i start to hate the beginning^^ (also more an arrangement than a mixing-question) maybe it should fade in softly etc...
hope this helps (though I criticized more my own multi-track than your mix)

oh and please excuse my bad English Wink
Hi c-fx,

The history is:
Afther I done with dymamics, I start making space and putting sounds in the pannorama. I prepared a gated reverb for the claps so when they hit togeter I can get a close snare with a nice tali and let the structure of the song to work on the variations. But the overall sound still had a lot of space, so the hi-hat have the power to fill that space. I found the sound so, I filed the space and as a happy blooper we make a hihat+verb solo, and build a thick ending to the final session of the track. Chapter 8 ... Rigth?
My English ... not so well but ... tomorrow it will be a bit better. Or a lot who knows Big Grin. Spanish is my first language.

Have a good one.
hi Rick,

great, thanks for the explanations, I will try to hear that^^
is there anything about the multi-track that could have been better? might help me to make a better one the next time :-)
yes chapter 8... haha I think I'm gonna read the book once more, can't be a bad idea too Wink
I like your optimism Smile
have a nice day!
Hi c-fx,
Ok, here is my critic:
I think that the track must be a little more dynamic, I'm refering the sessions. I think the structure of the track is nice because it complement your offer; for example the very first part with that strong bass and its echo, those metalic sounds hitting the floor or the bloop-pup-up comming from the left and rigth side of the pannorama. All the elements are well presented in the content. Now, the dense parts of the tracks can be fatter, a few more instruments, and/or layers of sound, little more aggressive, so it contrast more between the presentation of the elements. But ... it's a subjective opponion. I like the track ... Big Grin it is very intresting, you did a great job. I hope this help for the next project. Wink

Keep in contact !!!

thanks a lot, this is big motivation, thanks! very helpful tips Smile
I was not sure if it's part of the mixer or the "arranger" so I'll pay attention to dynamics next time. Playing guitar helps me on that as well luckily ;-)

I will do so!! :-)