Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The English Actor ... a journey ...
Hello,
I spent 2 long evenings trying to mix this one. Because it's a great song, it was fun going through it .... I could'nt solve the Vocal tuning part with Autotune, so I had to drown it in effects .
I did'nt like where the Bass cut off in the Bridgepart, so I copied the missing part from a few bars later.
I used the original Drumtracks. With parallel compression it was possible to get some tension to them.
I copied the parts of the lead vocal that needed special effects to a seperate track to provide that effect just where it needs it.
Did the same with the Guitar in the bridge on one tone that needed a bit more reverb than the rest.
I used parallel compression on
- the Snare
- The Kick
- The sum of Overhead,Toms+Rooms
- The sum of all the Drums
- The Bass
- The Vocal
- The Main Guitars
- The complete Mix at the end

First I thought parallel compression was nonsense, now I love it. I love the way you can lift the energy without loosing the transient.

In the beginning I tried to get a good balance between the breathing toms and that lower part of the Synth to get them breathing together.

On the sum of Overheads,Toms+Rooms I used different parallel Compression in the Verse than in the chorus. Verse a bit more relaxed, in the chorus a bit more stressed (Fatso to the limit).

Mike's Mix is the closer for sure !! :-) ....amazing professionality !! ...
I guess that's where we all want to end up ... and I find it really great to have found this site with all the possibilities to mix stuff. I learn with every one I do and from every mistake I do as well :-) ...

.mp3    TheEnglishActress.mp3 --  (Download: 2.89 MB)

Cool! Think you really captured the bottom end and the synths sound amazing! good job!
Thank you very much summersun !
Nice mix, you got a nice balance. The only thing i could suggest is that the snare could be more powerful during the choruses and maybe turn down a bit the HH.
I see you like parallel processing so what i tried to do with the snare to make it cut through a bit more was, to duplicate the DRM ROOM, inserted a Gate and added some eq, distortion and heavily compress. Then keyed the gate with the snare so the channel open just with each snare hit...
Heh, nice tom sound ! And ye, the HH could be a bit lower.
Nice lead vocals. I think they are bit drowned @ chorus though. And the bass is a bit loud @ chorus too.
I like the Transition phase. Quiet.. Escalating.. I would give a fair amount of presence at the synth in the end leading to chorus Smile
The guitar @ trans phase is a bit overcompressed ? i think it's ducking (on my system at least)
And last, i think it's a bit of low-midy in general ? (or is it again my setup?)

Nice vibe anyway Smile

Hope it helps!
Cheers!