Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mix with an 80's feel?
Hi All,

this is my mix for Siren - The feel of the vocals / pads / arpeggios immediately suggested to me an 80's treatment. I tried to give the vocals a 'Sandra-esue' feel (remember 'Maria Magdalena'?) both with eq and fx as were the drum soundsand processing... I shortened the mix, so it's more of a 7inch than a 12inch mix (to keep up the 80s theme!)

Tell me if I came any close to the intended outcome Smile

.mp3    Sirene_mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 8 MB)

woowwwowwwowwwo ((Smile))
its good i like it ,nice openining , the only thing is on the 2 part its not need to grow it want to stay same in level so dont try to force it ,the part that come in are hi in volume this is a static song let it be that.
you made a good balance.
(18-11-2012, 10:00 PM)uzilevi Wrote: woowwwowwwowwwo ((Smile))
its good i like it ,nice openining , the only thing is on the 2 part its not need to grow it want to stay same in level so dont try to force it ,the part that come in are hi in volume this is a static song let it be that.
you made a good balance.

Thanks Uzi... appreciate your genuine feedback.
Cheers!
I just love this song...! Nice warm mix, nice bottom end! The Kick drum fits in there very nice and this is a great mix but as you had an agenda regarding an 80's sound here are my opinions:

It sounded more like a 70's disco feel than eighties. I think to get an eighties feel, you could give that snare a bit more bottom end and a bigger push in the mix. I think you made it too tight sounding, I'm thinking the Linn drum snare in alot of Prince's work in the early to mid eighties would go down a treat here. Also If it is an eighties version, I would suggest less of the lush bottom end you've achieved and make that great kick drum less bassy, A lot of 80's drums trended to have bass in the snare and top end in the kick, listen to Prince's 'Kiss', '1999' and 'When Doves Cry' as examples of what I am suggesting. Maybe some chorus on the vocals, that seemed to be popular than too.

Hope you don't think I'm being too critical, just trying to help and give an opinion. Smile
(16-12-2012, 08:32 PM)xplanet2112 Wrote: I just love this song...! Nice warm mix, nice bottom end! The Kick drum fits in there very nice and this is a great mix but as you had an agenda regarding an 80's sound here are my opinions:

It sounded more like a 70's disco feel than eighties. I think to get an eighties feel, you could give that snare a bit more bottom end and a bigger push in the mix. I think you made it too tight sounding, I'm thinking the Linn drum snare in alot of Prince's work in the early to mid eighties would go down a treat here. Also If it is an eighties version, I would suggest less of the lush bottom end you've achieved and make that great kick drum less bassy, A lot of 80's drums trended to have bass in the snare and top end in the kick, listen to Prince's 'Kiss', '1999' and 'When Doves Cry' as examples of what I am suggesting. Maybe some chorus on the vocals, that seemed to be popular than too.

Hope you don't think I'm being too critical, just trying to help and give an opinion. Smile

Thanks for your feedback - much appreciated.

The 80s feel was more of an underlying inspiration and not intended to entirely reproduce the sonics of the era. However, I will definitely take your suggestions on board and attempt a more authentic 80s mix - short of an authentic SSL G+ and an AMS RMS16 Wink)

Thanks once again,

Cheers!
Nice mix this -- on my little PC speakers at least! Perhaps the best thing I can say about it is that it reminds me how much I like the song, and you can't go far wrong if that's the response! Cool I love the sense of detail I get -- I'm hearing things that I'd forgotten on the multitrack, which is great. Each bit seems to be getting its own place in the sun.

It's also an interesting mix for me personally, because you've taken a more restrained approach to section dynamics than is my instinct. It's my morbid fear of boring the listener -- it kind of makes me want to keep something new happening all the time. However, I think your approach is probably better suited to the slower burn of this track than my instinct would have been, and you get a great fluidity to the long-term dynamics that I think really stands up well. I always love it when someone presents me with a vision that surprises me like that. We're all still learners here! Smile

Thanks for posting that!
(17-12-2012, 09:13 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: Nice mix this -- on my little PC speakers at least! Perhaps the best thing I can say about it is that it reminds me how much I like the song, and you can't go far wrong if that's the response! Cool

Thanks Mike! I really appreciate the time and effort you make to keep this site up and running and finding the time to reply to most of the posts. Your dedication and sheer love of music and audio technology is an example and a true inspiration.

Thanks once again Smile
Hi again Clinton !

This is a BRILLANT MIX dude !!! I just can say "bravo"...
The song is great, i love your treatment, which reminds me things my ears are used to without knowing why... maybe the sound of my childhood... it's just perfect to me.
I would have loved to say something critical in any way to improve the listener pleasure, but i don't ! It pleases me from start to end.

All that listening only on Auratones and crapy PC speakers. Even the "drastic" iPhone test passed it so good.

The only thing that could improve the song is arrangement, and maybe a little shorter could help. Even if you did it already...

Hats Off ! Hands up and a great respect for your mix. I think i'm gonna give a try on this song, just to make something different, cause better : don't think i will Smile

Xabi
www.studiodeletang.com
Thanks Xabi ... I feel flattered - you are too kind!

Cheers!

Clinton
Too kind ? me ? hahahah ! well... usually i'm not at all ... (i prefer to be honnest and say what can be improved, and i'm not good at doing it like Mike does...)
But here... really... nothing i could say but "congrats". And i really mean it.

I'm downloading the tracks Smile
But for now, let's do some tweaking on "Bounty" ! Few days left for me to mix in studio before going for a 1 year tour.... i'll miss my room....

Xabi
www.studiodeletang.com