Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ill Fate - good ol´ hardcore with a metal twist
Hey Guys,

Drums: No samples needed for this song. Kick & snare sound great, Overheads were perfect too, the Toms sound like they have allready been replaced with samples. Anyway, I tried parallel compression for Kick, Snare and Toms which I normally don't do and it turned out great.

Bass: I wish every metal band would record such a great bass tone =)

Guitars: I didn't use the amped guitar tones because Andy Sneaps EZmix Presets sound better 90% of the time.

I`ve added some gang shouts at the end (done with melodyne)

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    Ill Fate.mp3 --  (Download: 5.13 MB)

I like your mix Blitzzz, striking a good balance between the power, presence and upper frequency ranges! Love the vocal panning production about 40 seconds in too!

Ive just finished a quick mix of the song too, its the newest post in the thread, would love some feedback on it! I went for a much darker production as i liked how evil it sounded haha

Cheers

Dan
A man who isn't afraid of the midrange on distorted guitars! Love it! Hell of a mix, it just makes me wanna thrash!
really appreciate your feedback guys, thx. if you want to mix a more complex beast you should take a look at Burning Bridges on this site. Wrote and recorded it - it might be a nice challenge for you Smile
(19-06-2014, 02:00 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: Hey Guys,

another mix I´ve done because I was bored =)

Drums: No samples needed for this song. Kick & snare sound great, Overheads were perfect too, the Toms look like they have been replaced with samples. Anyway, I tried parallel compression for Kick, Snare and Toms which I normally don't do and it turned out great.

Bass: I wish every metal band would record such a great bass tone =) I´ve send both tracks to a bus and waves bass rider did the rest. there's just a little bit of compression on the distorted track.

Guitars: Mesa Boogie is the right tone for this music. I´ve used 2 presets from EZmix 2 "Andy Sneap"-Add-on (Seattle crank on the left, Seattle boogie on the right right). I didn't use the amped guitar tones because Sneaps Presets sound better 90% of the time. Beside the two guitar tracks left & right there's also one guitar track in the middle but its muted every time the vocals go up.

Vox was very easy too, SSL-Channel on each track and and Vocal Rider on the vox bus was everything i needed. I`ve added some gang shouts at the end (done with melodyne)

ah, slates VCC is on every channel and bus, VTM on the master and drum bus, VBC on all buses. I normally go for 1-2 db of compression on every bus

Overall your mix is good, the guitars are really nice and heavy. Unfortunately the drums, especially the double kick, is almost non existent in the mix. I would really turn down the guitars and bring up the kick.

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Yeah, sounds great, loads of energy to it. Agree about the drums though, maybe too much ohead, not enough kick and snare? Not far off though. Rest of it though is really good, nice one.
Hahaha, you're right. It was one of the first mixes I did on this forum (just mixed my own stuff before that) and the guitars are waaaaaaayyyy too loud. But on the other hand the mix really kicks ass BECAUSE of the guitars. I would probably raise the drums by 1-2 db and lower the guitars by 1 db nowaydays but i would still give more power to the guitars. they are awesome, great playing, good timing, just perfect!