Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
My first mix... Semantics / Forkupines
Hi all, I'm french and I've discover this website the last week (Sorry for my bad english... Big Grin)

I post here my first attempt of mix and mastering (I have 6 months of experience), and I would like to work in the sound in the years to come if it's possible, I look for different opinions on my first made work...

It's my firts vocal mix... It's very hard for me and I find it not very clean... Undecided Sorry for this excess of reverb on this track...

I look for various opinions and advices to improve...

I have a question... Why the kick/ overhead/ Snare etc... has 2 track ? (Triggers), I have to make a choice or to mix these tracks ? or it's for a retouch or additionniotal sound in the master track ?

Thanks all Cool

P.S: This idea of Web site is brilliant
Angel

.mp3    55566.mp3 --  (Download: 10.25 MB)

Wow, c'est très très ambitieux comme premier mix !

La caisse claire (snare up) est votre plus gros ennemis.. Il y a tellement de hi-hat qui cherche à dominer le mix, même un EQ qui coupe les hautes ne suffis pas assez.

Mois, J'ai ajouter une nouvelle caisse claire avec un nouveau sample, en utilisant drumagog.. tout les trois sont maintenant dans mon mix, mais les caisse claire fourni sont très bas en volume comparer au nouveau sample.

J'ai essayer mois même de mixer avec les deux piste de caisse claire fournis (snare up/down) mais, quand j'ai fait mon mastering.. bleck !!Sad

Excluant le problème de snare vs hats.. je crois que la majorités de ton mix a très solide.. tu as un gros futures ! Cool

Marc

Thanks, I did not expect that... Wink

I did not think I could "cheat" with additionnal sample, but i think it's the only solutions for a better mix...

And... Thanks for the french translation :-p
Overall, a pretty good sounding mix. Guitars/vocals/bass seem well balanced and fit together nicely . I think the problem, as Marc says, is the snare. You're not getting much drive out of it. But its not easy to do because the supplied tracks are horrible, so well done.

don't worry about cheating...there is no cheating...if it sounds good...its is good

Your English is great...way better than my french

As far as your question about there being more than two tracks of kick, snare OH, etc is for tone blending,it's a very common practice in recording. It's up to you to blend in what the audio engineer recorded based on what the artist has in mind as far as the sound they are going for. As far as mastering, I would not even attempt that yet, consentrate in mixing, get your ears trained on the mixing part first. That said, your mix was way over compressed it was very squashed. Just keep practicing, the really good mix engineers mix 10 to 12 hours a day for 20 years or so, it's a craft that needs time to improve just like everything else. So keep at it!
Thanks to all, your advices are precious ! I took your advices and I tried on another piece with fewer tracks, on this forum, if you want listen to... http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=5085

Wink