Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Borderline - HB Mix
bits of this song remind me of early REM....reckoning/fables/document..lots of arpeggiated chords with a country feel to vocals....so I used a few of these tracks as references for some of the instrument levels.

.mp3    Borderline_HB_Mix_01.mp3 --  (Download: 10.5 MB)

Nice mix,you need a nice bit of comp on country-Nashville style rock and you done a pretty good job.
I think your pretty spot on here,good work.I played it twice and still enjoyed it.
(06-06-2014, 01:53 PM)takka360 Wrote: Nice mix,you need a nice bit of comp on country-Nashville style rock and you done a pretty good job.
I think your pretty spot on here,good work.I played it twice and still enjoyed it.
Thanks for your feedback...glad i could entice you for a second listen..Smile
I listened your mix and immediate reaction is its very well separated and eay to listen to.
Then my left ear start to focus on the acc gtr and I wonder if you have a boost 400 and 700 pretty narrow q ?
If so maybe back it of a bit.
Solo sounds great !
Vocals especially backin vocal are a bit sharp to my ears, or maybe its just lvl of backin vocal - with 1.5 dB or so more compression on it it will sit better ?
Love the drums ! Just the right lvl for this one I think.
Small details I mention - good mix !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(12-06-2014, 11:13 AM)Voelund Wrote: I listened your mix and immediate reaction is its very well separated and eay to listen to.
Then my left ear start to focus on the acc gtr and I wonder if you have a boost 400 and 700 pretty narrow q ?
If so maybe back it of a bit.
Solo sounds great !
Vocals especially backin vocal are a bit sharp to my ears, or maybe its just lvl of backin vocal - with 1.5 dB or so more compression on it it will sit better ?
Love the drums ! Just the right lvl for this one I think.
Small details I mention - good mix !
Thanks for your feedback. Glad you liked the drums...been working hard recently to get them more defined and coherent

Can definitely hear the brightness you're talking about with AcuGtr....no boosts to lower mid range...but i did add a 3db (q=1) bell boost @ 5K for a bit of presence...always a fine line between being too dark and too bright...i was probably influenced by my choice of reference tracks which were pretty bright

I tend to like strong BGV's so i know what you mean... i could probably nudge them down a bit without a worry
Very good to my ears.

I like the dark overall sound, but still I would like to hear more openness in the space. But that's just a small issue of taste.
(15-06-2014, 12:15 PM)Olli H Wrote: Very good to my ears.

I like the dark overall sound, but still I would like to hear more openness in the space. But that's just a small issue of taste.

Thanks for your comments

I'm a sucker for melody, so every time i hear one, i want everyone to hear it....probably need to learn to dial it back on occasion and let the mix breathe

dark sound/bright sound...there isn't any real conscious choice...I just keep twisting knobs until I'm sick of it...I'd like to learn how to make those sort of choices though