Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix, Sugar
Had a go at this song

.mp3    Sugar.mp3 --  (Download: 9.7 MB)

.mp3    Sugar 1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.7 MB)

.mp3    Blues Bastards \'Sugar\'.mp3 --  (Download: 9.74 MB)

Hey, John , I have not listen to the preview track to gather any scene of the artist intension.
First I like the tone of you vocal; watch what`s going on with compression here. I like the open room sound you are going for in the mix.
For me as you now know I am a freak when it comes to hearing compression on tracks. After listen to your other work
I can hear you are pulling the use of compression back.

For me the drums Are still over compressed on drum buss. Just a thought and you might be doing this already, compress the kick and snare 3db gain reduction on the track and a little on over heads and none on the drum buss; firstly its easy to get a good sound balance on drums and then mess it up with compression on the drum buss.

pull out the lows on you acoustic reverb to clean bottom end. They have a nice tone some times hearing the compression pulling in and out.
This is taking shape in many ways and your balances are moving in the right direction.
At this time compression is helping in some areas but taking away and making thing sound strange in others.

overall though this is not at all a bad mix , and I can hear progression through your mixes, so be encouraged.

Keep on keeping on
(22-04-2024, 02:39 PM)Rustyruss Wrote: Hey, John , I have not listen to the preview track to gather any scene of the artist intension.
First I like the tone of you vocal; watch what`s going on with compression here. I like  the open room sound you are going for in the mix.
For me as you now know I am a freak when it comes to hearing compression on tracks. After listen to your other work
I can hear you are pulling the use of compression back.

For me  the drums Are still over compressed on drum buss.  Just a thought and you might be doing this already, compress the kick and snare 3db gain reduction on the track and a little on over heads and none on the drum buss; firstly its easy to get a good sound balance on drums and then mess it up with compression on the drum buss.

pull out the lows on you acoustic reverb to clean bottom end. They have a nice tone some times hearing the compression pulling in and out.
This is taking shape in many ways and your balances are moving in the right direction.
At this time compression is helping in some areas  but taking away and making thing sound strange in others.

overall though this is not at all a bad mix , and I can hear progression through  your mixes, so be encouraged.

Keep on keeping on
 Thanks for your comments Rustyruss they  are good have now cut the  compression gives the song more space add more low end maybe to much and put the electric guitars  up more in the mix as well 
Hey John, nice one , drum kit, great improvement, love to kick drum sound.
All elements have good placement in the mix , nice sounding acoustics Guitars, they are not dominating the Mix.

just two pointers, firstly lower the drum buss ; the who le drum kit; down 3Db.

Then second;

Bass guitar ;well At the moment it has a lot of sub energy which is way too much, and it needs to be heard more even. On bass guitar total stay away from boosting the lows and look at the highs

So lets do simple!!!!! on bass track boost medium wide a little at 800- 900kh then 3 db at 10kh
then using a compressor set 4:1 ratio to start as not to over compress , fast attack and fast release, then lower threshold and gain reduction 4DB , THEN USE make up gain raise 2db. the bass notes should sound even with no drop outs. now balance against the kick drum , so turn up bass untill kick drum gets lost in mix and then drop in down slowly un -till the kick comes back through.

Good work john , all other elements and tone and balances sounding good and coming together , just those 2 things.

Keep on keeping on