Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Returning to mix this again roughly 8 years later
It's been a good few years since I first got started on mixing and mastering around 2015. I remember finding these forums in 2016, and downloading a bunch of these multitracks to play around with.
A few weeks ago, with something of a sense of nostalgia, I returned to this site and was happy to find my old threads still online, with my old mixes still available, so I decided to go back to one of my favorites, which was this one.
It's interesting to see how much my approach and style has changed since then and in what ways they've stayed the same. I've certainly gotten better.
For this mix I blended the Bass amp from the provided tracks with a more grindy sound that I got from running the DI through a JOYO double thruster and then adding one of my own impulse responses.
The guitars utilize STL Amphub, with a Bogner Überschall model on the main rhythms.
I played around with all pass filters and some M/S effects to create a mono-compatible double track from the third rhythm-DI, essentially creating a quad track. Then I decided to channel beatdown bands like Nails or Swedish death metal and ran a softly distorted MT2 into a dimed HM2 into a clean Dual Recto model in Amphub. The resulting tone was incredibly disgusting chainsaw tone that blended nicely with the more traditional Überschall sound to add some more aggression.
I loved the sound of the live snare and added no samples as I didn't think it needed any. Since the original Kick and Toms were already a blend of samples and live tone, I decided to layer some of my own. Still, I tried not to lean too hard into sampling the drums.
A gate on the drum rooms was side chained to Midi I've extracted from the snare. That way I could set the rooms to a level where they really help give weight to the snare and then brought the noise floor of the gate back up to a point where it sat just right to my ears.
Either way, this was very fun, I love that this site and all the posts still exist.

.mp3    Hollow Ground - Ill Fate2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.4 MB)