Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TheFerryboatMen_WindsOfGypsyMoor_Full
My take on this song. Probably should have used a deesser on the cymbals but wasn't feeling how it killed the transients of the drums.

.mp3    TheFerryboatMen_WindsOfGypsyMoor_Full.mp3 --  (Download: 11.96 MB)

Hi Tambo man, Just a few thoughts , I like that you have use the toms and the bass to drive the song; a few thing happing here one as pointed out is cymbals, a need for a rebalance; reducing over head and drum room tracks. Also there is phasing issues on your drum tracks? I like the balance between piano and main riff guitars that carry the piece through. I like the volume and placement of solo guitar,
I like to tone of vocals and balance of bv. There is some over compression going on ; I think on Bv?
For me I like where this is going , and would like to give you more of an overall sonic critique but feel the drums tone and balance restrict me in giving a helpful thoughts .

well done hope this helps.

keep on keeping on
(01-04-2024, 02:08 PM)Rustyruss Wrote: Hi Tambo man, Just a few thoughts , I like that you have use the toms and the bass to drive the song; a few thing happing here one as pointed out is cymbals, a need for a rebalance; reducing over head and drum room tracks. Also there is phasing issues on your drum tracks?  I like the balance between piano and main riff guitars that carry the piece through. I like the volume  and placement of solo guitar,
I like to tone of vocals and balance of bv. There is some over compression going on ; I think on Bv?
For me I like where this is going , and would like  to give you more of an overall sonic critique but feel the drums tone and balance restrict me in giving a helpful thoughts .

well done  hope this helps.

keep on keeping on
Hey Rusty, thank you for the feedback. That's why I post here.
Id agree the drums in this mix aren't something to write home about. 90% of the drums sound in this mix is the room mics ( hence the LOUD cymbals Smile with a tiny bit of the close mics added in and minimal eq moves. I went this route because i wanted them set back in a space, kinda the live sound. Not sure what would cause a phasey sound except for maybe a stereo widener on the master buss.  Idk, could also be  I time delayed the rooms a bit. The BVs are over compressed for sure. I tend to bounce things and commit it and after a couple of hours things can to get out of hand. Will definitely get back to this one once ilok unloks my stuff. 

Cheers!