Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Winds of Gypsy moor
(26-03-2024, 02:01 PM)MY MIX ONE. AND MIX 2 AFTER some advice.filipandrei Wrote: Hey Rustyruss,

I like the balance of your mix, sounds nice to me
For me I would prefer the toms a bit biffy ( a bit low-end ), but this is just my taste

Anyway, nice one! Keep it up

Cheers
Mix 3 as advice from Andrei.

.mp3    The winds of gypsy moor mix 3 -.mp3 --  (Download: 12.44 MB)

Hey Rustyruss,

It seems to me that you've lost some of the presence and "bite" in the toms.
I would boost just a bit of low-end in the toms ( leave the high frequency alone, they sounded nice to me )

One technique I use for toms is creating a parallel track with a chorusing effect ( usually Microshift from Soundtoys ) FOCUS -> around 300Hz ( search the freq while playing the toms ), DETUNE and DELAY-> around 9 o'clock, and then blend this to taste when playing the music

Cheers
Andrei
MacPro 5,1 - Monteret | UAD Apollo Twin | AKG - K701 | Reaper | LUNA
Hi Andrei, Thanks for taking time to listen to mix 2.
I had a re listen and I hear what you mean; It seems the energy, drive has been sucked out the song .

Thanks for this technique , I just started mixing a new song called freedom and the recorded tome are lacking some beef and I was wondering how to tackle them.
I do not have sound toys, but will will see if i can mix and match some plug ins to get some thing to work, then I will post mix rv3.

Thanks again.

Keep on Keeping on.
Hey Rustyruss,

It's very good work.

Overall it sounds good on many listening systems. This is already an excellent point. But, as usual I'm going to nitpick: for my taste the voices are a little "upfront". On the rhythm side, the toms are a little loudly present and unbalanced (to be revisited possibly). The two electric guitars in the "pseudo metal" passage are a little thin. They will have to be strengthened (more medium and bass). And that's all...

Good mixing (add a little lacquer with the cherry on top...)

Franz
(05-05-2024, 10:27 PM)Franz Wrote: Hey Rustyruss,

It's very good work.

Overall it sounds good on many listening systems. This is already an excellent point. But, as usual I'm going to nitpick: for my taste the voices are a little "upfront". On the rhythm side, the toms are a little loudly present and unbalanced (to be revisited possibly). The two electric guitars in the "pseudo metal" passage are a little thin. They will have to be strengthened (more medium and bass). And that's all...

Good mixing (add a little lacquer with the cherry on top...)

Franz
Thanks Franz for listening.
I will have a listen to this again ( possibly will have a different perspective on things ).
I have always gone for more upfront vocals; possibly because I  mix live music, the want the story of the song told. ( not always fitting for every studio mix ) yours  is a helpful comment as I can be more aware in my future mixes.

I will have a go at what you have suggested and look forward to any thoughts you might have.

Thanks.

Rusty Russ.

Keep on keeping on.