Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speak Softly-Broken Man (Jacques Mix)
Here my mix Smile

Advice and comments welcome Smile

All best

Jacques Moretti

.mp3    SpeakSoftly-BrokenManR1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.49 MB)

hi Jacques,

what i really liked here was what you did with the piano(s), cool positioning and treatment. the only snag occurs later on in the mix, when the distant piano gets drowned out. around 0:50'ish it's generally fine.....but at 3:48 say, it generally isn't?

the vocals were nice, apart from the delays - a break from these would have been appreciated occasionally, otherwise it becomes highly repetitive and loses appeal. the delays were also rather "cliche"; i'd have liked you to put in something fresh, gone are the days when you can get away with basic delays.......especially for people like me who've been around for as long as sliced bread. Wink

you have far too much bass panned out wide to the sides, and it's punching my ears in the cans; not cool because it's uncomfortable and highly fatiguing. this is also giving you problems in the low-mid range owing to bass build-up here - it might sound fab in stereo sitting in the sweet spot, but put this in a club and it will die a quick death and no one will thank you for that.

the treatment on the top end was clean and tidy...nothing bright nor harsh. if you cleared the low end congestion, it would make the mix appear brighter and more airy, a useful side-effect without even touching the EQ up the hi end department.

looking forward to checking out your future mixes to see how you are implementing the know-how Wink

cheers
Dave

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
(17-06-2014, 09:26 AM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: hi Jacques,

what i really liked here was what you did with the piano(s), cool positioning and treatment. the only snag occurs later on in the mix, when the distant piano gets drowned out. around 0:50'ish it's generally fine.....but at 3:48 say, it generally isn't?

the vocals were nice, apart from the delays - a break from these would have been appreciated occasionally, otherwise it becomes highly repetitive and loses appeal. the delays were also rather "cliche"; i'd have liked you to put in something fresh, gone are the days when you can get away with basic delays.......especially for people like me who've been around for as long as sliced bread. Wink

you have far too much bass panned out wide to the sides, and it's punching my ears in the cans; not cool because it's uncomfortable and highly fatiguing. this is also giving you problems in the low-mid range owing to bass build-up here - it might sound fab in stereo sitting in the sweet spot, but put this in a club and it will die a quick death and no one will thank you for that.

the treatment on the top end was clean and tidy...nothing bright nor harsh. if you cleared the low end congestion, it would make the mix appear brighter and more airy, a useful side-effect without even touching the EQ up the hi end department.

looking forward to checking out your future mixes to see how you are implementing the know-how Wink

cheers
Dave
Hi Dave!
Cool...really thanks for your advices Wink
yes bass and kick should work better now that I'm listen back...I will go back and look for the problems Wink

Cheers

Jacques