Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Come Around - HB Mix
I think my favorite of the 3 Leaf tracks

.mp3    ComeAround_HB_Mix_01.mp3 --  (Download: 9.58 MB)

Hello

Here is some thoughts after listening your mix.
The bass sounds a bit boxy and it has a peak around 120 hz.
AcGtr could be up. Or is it even on?
And I might ad a little bit presence boost to vocal and maybe also to guitars.
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.
Hey Moonwrist, thanks for your commentsWink

(01-06-2014, 07:09 PM)Moonwrist Wrote: Hello

Here is some thoughts after listening your mix.
The bass sounds a bit boxy and it has a peak around 120 hz.

pk at 120 hz is 2nd harmonic boost...1st harmonic at 60hz is conflicting with kick peak at 60-90 hz .... so 2nd harmonic boost allows bass to cut through mix and avoids kick and bass wallowing around in the same frequency band....produces a more defined bottom end .... its not everyone's cup of tea..but i like it

(01-06-2014, 07:09 PM)Moonwrist Wrote: AcGtr could be up. Or is it even on?

really wanted to use acoustic more prominently but couldn't tame the resonance and keep a decent timbre...for me, the resonance buzzing around in the chorus was too much of a negative ..... so I set it as a low level pad opposite the ebow in the stereo image...you can't really hear it, but it leaves a hole if isn't there

(01-06-2014, 07:09 PM)Moonwrist Wrote: And I might ad a little bit presence boost to vocal and maybe also to guitars.

I'll check that out...i remember one of the BGVs, (BGV12) was not as clear as it might be... i think a presence boost here would work well....nice idea Big Grin

(02-06-2014, 04:35 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: pk at 120 hz is 2nd harmonic boost...1st harmonic at 60hz is conflicting with kick peak at 60-90 hz .... so 2nd harmonic boost allows bass to cut through mix and avoids kick and bass wallowing around in the same frequency band....produces a more defined bottom end .... its not everyone's cup of tea..but i like it
Yes I know this technique but I think you over did it. Different notes have different level which really jump out in low end.
Have you tried to use a ducker in the bass to make more room for the kick?

(02-06-2014, 04:35 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: really wanted to use acoustic more prominently but couldn't tame the resonance and keep a decent timbre...for me, the resonance buzzing around in the chorus was too much of a negative ..... so I set it as a low level pad opposite the ebow in the stereo image...you can't really hear it, but it leaves a hole if isn't there
OK. It has a bigger role in my mix so I noticed it missing.
But hey. I have heard that there are tape saturation plugins and vintage plugins to make grit to your sound. Maybe you can think that as a musician grit Big Grin
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.
(02-06-2014, 07:47 PM)Moonwrist Wrote: Have you tried to use a ducker in the bass to make more room for the kick?

Yes...I connected a send from the drum loop into the sidechain of a compressor inserted on the bass track with the threshold set to give a 2-3dB reduction

(02-06-2014, 07:47 PM)Moonwrist Wrote: OK. It has a bigger role in my mix so I noticed it missing.

It can be a bit strange listening to other peoples mixes as I think we often hear the differences as "faults"....i try very hard to make comments based upon what i think the mixer is trying to achieve...rather than trying to get their mix to sound like mineBig Grin