Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Mixes - 13 years Apart
I thought it would be an interesting exercise to remix this track 13 years after I mixed the original track.  I mixed Young Griffo's EP "Tiny Islands" as pretty much the first paid mixing gig I did way back in 2010/11....

"Pennies 2024" is (obviously) the new mix.

...hopefully I've improved a little since then... what do you think?

.mp3    Pennies 2024.mp3 --  (Download: 9.47 MB)

.mp3    Young Griffo - Tiny Islands - 01 Pennies.mp3 --  (Download: 9.51 MB)

All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Hi

Yes, much better!  This is very interesting actually - thanks for posting this.

The difference between the two mixes further highlights a couple of issues I've really picked up on in my own mixes and am trying to work at fixing, so there might possibly be hope for me yet.  One other thing I picked up on that I also thought was interesting is that the balances [are] very good in both mixes.

Good stuff.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(25-02-2024, 07:23 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi

Yes, much better!  This is very interesting actually - thanks for posting this.

The difference between the two mixes further highlights a couple of issues I've really picked up on in my own mixes and am trying to work at fixing, so there might possibly be hope for me yet.  One other thing I picked up on that I also thought was interesting is that the balances very good in both mixes.

Good stuff.

Cheers!
Thanks Mike - I really appreciate you taking a listen!  I was experimenting with trialling Pro Tools as a DAW, (some strange form of audio masochism on my part, I suspect!) so I chose this mix because I knew it would throw a whole lot of challenges my way that would let me explore the full range of capabilities/limitations of PT.  That proved to be true in spades!  If I were using Reaper, I could have mixed this in a fraction of the time...

It's nice to hear the balances are good - I think that's really the fundamental starting point in mixing.  Refining the use of our tools, applying acquired knowledge to specific situations, and becoming a better problem-solver is really the rest.  In any case, I've definitely learned a few techniques over the years that I wish I knew back then!

Thanks again.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases