Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cog In The Machine mix attempt
I tried to mix this as naturally as possible. I had a bit of a problem getting the bass to really blend in, but the few mixes from other people I heard here seemed to have a similar problem.
When extracting the zip file the acoustic guitar mic track was corrupted so I had to make with only the DI track of the guitar

.mp3    The cog in the machine.mp3 --  (Download: 4.48 MB)

the mix still sound a littel dry, and you could blend the bass and the kick drum to sound more even with more prescense, the voice sounds good, and overall its cool so, keep getting better Big Grin
The vox sound pretty low to me and the whole mix lacks clarity I feel.
Good balance tho ,good job.
Nice. But the vocals are a bit buried. I would double them to thicken and raise the vol in the mix. The rim shots are too loud, almost like a annoying metronome clicks rack. I would get rid of them if they are a spereate track and replace with brushes on a snare. This song doesn't call for sharp hits. Again IMHO. Thanks for posting.
Two years later here is a revised version. I eased down a bit on the reverb and balanced the vocals and violin and added some 2-3kHz on the guitar.

.mp3    cog in the machine 2016 mix.mp3 --  (Download: 4.98 MB)

I feel it's still lacking some high end and clarity. Could this be a monitoring problem? What are you using....monitors, plugins etc.