Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bannockburn revisited
I'm reposting this because I realised the snare top and snare bottom mics had alignment and phase issues. No wonder I had problems with the snare disappearing...

I also fine-tuned the reverbs and snare automation.

Please do let me know what you think of this. All feedback is welcome!

.mp3    Bannockburn.mp3 --  (Download: 5.61 MB)

Hello, the mix is a good effort, but I really wouldn't do the drums like that. I guess you wanted the snare to cut through, but it sounds very brittle. Like wise the kick is too toppy for the mix I think.
(06-11-2012, 04:31 AM)electricladyLAN Wrote: Hello, the mix is a good effort, but I really wouldn't do the drums like that. I guess you wanted the snare to cut through, but it sounds very brittle. Like wise the kick is too toppy for the mix I think.

Thank you for taking the time to listen and for your comments. I'll try and re-eq the snare and re-visit the balance between the top and bottom mics (At the moment I mixed more of the bottom mic than the top).

Re the kick I intentionally went for that very clicky sound but I'll try and dial it back a bit and see what happens.
(06-11-2012, 08:47 AM)spinner003 Wrote:
(06-11-2012, 04:31 AM)electricladyLAN Wrote: Hello, the mix is a good effort, but I really wouldn't do the drums like that. I guess you wanted the snare to cut through, but it sounds very brittle. Like wise the kick is too toppy for the mix I think.

Thank you for taking the time to listen and for your comments. I'll try and re-eq the snare and re-visit the balance between the top and bottom mics (At the moment I mixed more of the bottom mic than the top).

Re the kick I intentionally went for that very clicky sound but I'll try and dial it back a bit and see what happens.

Hi again! I had some spare time and I was being a bit gratuitous with comments, don't take it too seriously. I listened to 3 mixes of the song yesterday, and again today and one thing that caught my ear about your mix today was that your toms had much more ambience than the others. I think all versions are quite valid. (joey arbogast, Neil Hudd and yours)

Even with my limited knowledge of this style, the drums seem quite a bit out of balance here. The kick, snare, and vocals are eating the guitars for breakfast! Smile I reckon that you need to put your mix up against a few commercial releases so that you can get a better idea of what the relative balance should be, roughly speaking. It's possible that you might be trying to balance at too high a listening level too, because 'ear compression' makes a bit more sense of this balance at blistering volumes -- not that you can afford to mix only for that kind of listening, of course, even in modern metal.
(14-11-2012, 02:14 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: Even with my limited knowledge of this style, the drums seem quite a bit out of balance here. The kick, snare, and vocals are eating the guitars for breakfast! Smile I reckon that you need to put your mix up against a few commercial releases so that you can get a better idea of what the relative balance should be, roughly speaking. It's possible that you might be trying to balance at too high a listening level too, because 'ear compression' makes a bit more sense of this balance at blistering volumes -- not that you can afford to mix only for that kind of listening, of course, even in modern metal.

Mr Senior, thank you for listening and for your comments. I listened to this again a couple of days ago and realised the guitars were way too low. When I was finalising the mix I was alternating between really loud and really low levels to check it and I must have gotten confused and overcompensated Rolleyes
Here's my mix of Bannockburn with louder guitars. All comments welcome as always Smile

.mp3    Bannockburn V2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.61 MB)

(20-11-2012, 08:00 PM)spinner003 Wrote: Here's my mix of Bannockburn with louder guitars. All comments welcome as always Smile
I like this mix better.