Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Milk Cow Blues - Hot Milk Studio Mix
Hi  everyone,
Since I really liked Angela's voice, I decided to delve into this mix. It was not straightforward to get this mix to breathe since basically all of the instruments play somewhat monotonously through the whole song. I did A LOT of gain riding and occassional  mutes to remove clutter. Like others have mentioned, there were some very clunky edits to clean up and the drum overheads were a bit of a disaster--the snare was literally 'flamming' in the overheads--someone forgot to check those during recording I guess. I separated the overhead stereo track into two mono tracks and time-aligned the snare.

This song had me thinking of some classics that work when all of the elements are playing together, but when you solo the drums for example, you would never think that they could work because they are in fact quite poorly played. But of course it's the full band the makes the groove, not just a single player.

There were so many things to fix, I won't go into it all unless someone is interested. But yes, as others have mentioned, she has a lovely voice but it does get strident in the upper midrange on some notes. I did some notching and also used dynamic EQ to push down the loud bits around 3k. I also did a lot of EQ notching on many of the tracks to tame some of the nastiness of the recording.

I also spent quite some time getting the front to back depth down, this helped to allow the many instruments to play simultaneously.
Even though this song took a lot of editing and mixing to get into shape, I enjoyed the challenge and the process. I hope you enjoy listening!

Best,
Rob Cummings
Hot Milk Studio Berlin

.mp3    Angela Thomas Wade - Milk Cow Blues.mp3 --  (Download: 7.94 MB)

I just reposted the thread, I forgot to upload the darned mix!
Hi! 
The mix is well balanced, a good listen. And well panned instruments. 
Vox is pleasant with a nice top-end. 
The tracks are glued together and depending on personal taste could be a tad more separated (my taste) or not (good as well).
I don't find any obvious "mistake".
Good one
(08-02-2024, 10:57 PM)mementus Wrote: Hi! 
The tracks are glued together and depending on personal taste could be a tad more separated (my taste) or not (good as well).
Good one
Thanks mementus! By separated do you mean panning or EQ shaping (or both)?
(08-02-2024, 11:06 PM)Rob Cummings (Hot Milk Studio) Wrote:
(08-02-2024, 10:57 PM)mementus Wrote: Hi! 
Good one
Thanks mementus! By separated do you mean panning or EQ shaping (or both)?

EQ shaping