Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preach right here - voelund
I understand the artist likes compression so I didnt use it with care here ...
I borrowed bmullens pan idea and it inspired an auto pan of the shaker, made quite a diffrence (in stereo)
The kick is a bit unewen I hear now, but I like the snare.
Tried to make the stringed instruments have a conversation where one lead and the other support it.
I copied a little and made DT vocal and the bv double or triple.
Copied acc gtrs to middle piece and had them support the lonely electric a bit.

Cool song !

.mp3    Preach right here 03a.mp3 --  (Download: 10.55 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Being a mixer and not liking comp is a bit like a pervert not liking sex.
Bit of middle muck here,the vox are not cutting enough for me and the whole
mix could do with more definition and clarity
A song you should hear what the singer is saying ,not just a drone that is part of the mix.
You will not hear a commercial mix with a vocal like this.
Lets remind ourselves the level of a vocal in a commercial mix,
lets remind ourselves about everything in fact.
On this forum the kick would be too high the bass too loud and muddy lol.
Its not hard to get a sound like this using electronic sounds.

.mp3    13 Coldplay - Magic.mp3 --  (Download: 10.96 MB)

Lol bein pretty boring straight I still get your picture
I agree the vocal could come up a dB. I agree compared to commercial mixes my sound are a bit dull and I usually prefer a darker sound and demand the listener to listen for the vocal. As I do this for fun I have the privilege to suit my own preferences rather than what other people want to hear. But I hear you and the hi mid and higher could use a lift.
Thx for the feedback Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
As usual ... a lot of interesting producer choices here Smile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
The vocal levels and brightness are a tough issue to tackle in general. In certain rock tracks (like Soundgarden's Spoonman) the lead vocal is relatively quiet but bright (usually the engineer's explain in interviews that they want to vocal to bite through the mix). On the other hand there's bands like RHCP where the vocal is very dark (dark vocalist singing into SM7) but the engineer pushes it really really loud "to bring out the proximity". One could consider that mixing dark, yet low-level vocals (and making them work) is the ultimate challenge. Since I'm a boring guy and a chicken I usually play it safe and mix them both loud and bright Big Grin

At the end of the day its all about music.
I hear this mix well, its like I want it to sound and the music speaks to me like this.
I made a revised version based on some of the suggestions.

.mp3    Preach right here 03b lim.mp3 --  (Download: 10.37 MB)

Here we go again.
Thx to Takka i made another version kick snare and vocal lvl were the primary changes.

.mp3    Preach right here 04 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 10.3 MB)

Nice and clean, punchy and effective. For me the acoustics are a little harsh and the bass is kinda unwieldy, but I like it. For me, a midrange dip in the acoustics and a bit more leveling in the bass and it'd be perfect for my taste.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Thx for the suggestions and for stoppin by and the thumbs up