Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secretariat-Borderline
This was fun to mix. Spent a lot of time on the vocal to get it clear at every point. And also putting different elements closer or further away than others. .Sleepy

.mp3    Secretariat-Borderline.mp3 --  (Download: 6.42 MB)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
Mahatma Gandhi

Good sound mixing, guit_3 is a bit lacking in volume, and the overall mix sounds like a very compressed, should sound a little more "relaxed".
Good Job.
(27-05-2014, 04:06 PM)flyrecords Wrote: Good sound mixing, guit_3 is a bit lacking in volume, and the overall mix sounds like a very compressed, should sound a little more "relaxed".
Good Job.
Yeah I left GTR3 until last I didnt really think about it to much. I do use compression sometimes when I know I should probably automate more. Smile
Mahatma Gandhi

(27-05-2014, 03:21 PM)NosMos Wrote: Spent a lot of time on the vocal to get it clear at every point.

Well there you did succeed I must admit. The problem is the vocals ended up sounding way too harsh in the process. Undecided I can't be sure if the problem is with the EQ settings, the compression or both but honestly it felt like somebody was taking sandpaper to my eardrums. Confused

(28-05-2014, 03:33 AM)NosMos Wrote: I do use compression sometimes when I know I should probably automate more. Smile

Yes. Definitely. Tongue

Actually, aside from that rather nasty vocal problem this mix isn't bad, aside from that compression. You've balanced the tone of your electric guitars quite nicely and the drums are nice and punchy. Hoever, I feel the acoustic guitars are a little mid-heavy; they sound a little dull and boxy. Might want to try a little cut at 260 Hz and boost at 4800 Hz to sharpen them up a bit. Also, the mix overall is just a touch thin; you might try thickening up that bass just a touch. Not too much; don't want to add mud. Wink Also, flyrecords is right about Gtr3; it needs to come up some.

Despite its flaws this mix is quite a bit better than the last one I reviewed; it just needs some tweaking, and IMHO that compression's gotta go... Tongue
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(29-05-2014, 02:14 AM)Pedaling Prince Wrote:
(27-05-2014, 03:21 PM)NosMos Wrote: Spent a lot of time on the vocal to get it clear at every point.

Well there you did succeed I must admit. The problem is the vocals ended up sounding way too harsh in the process. Undecided I can't be sure if the problem is with the EQ settings, the compression or both but honestly it felt like somebody was taking sandpaper to my eardrums. Confused

(28-05-2014, 03:33 AM)NosMos Wrote: I do use compression sometimes when I know I should probably automate more. Smile

Yes. Definitely. Tongue

Actually, aside from that rather nasty vocal problem this mix isn't bad, aside from that compression. You've balanced the tone of your electric guitars quite nicely and the drums are nice and punchy. Hoever, I feel the acoustic guitars are a little mid-heavy; they sound a little dull and boxy. Might want to try a little cut at 260 Hz and boost at 4800 Hz to sharpen them up a bit. Also, the mix overall is just a touch thin; you might try thickening up that bass just a touch. Not too much; don't want to add mud. Wink Also, flyrecords is right about Gtr3; it needs to come up some.

Despite its flaws this mix is quite a bit better than the last one I reviewed; it just needs some tweaking, and IMHO that compression's gotta go... Tongue
Yeah listening now I can here Ive boosted the vocal way too much at about 2khz combined with to much comp.. I'm going to revisit this taking on board suggestions but i wont be able to post for more than a week because Ive run out of internet for the moment.Sad
Mahatma Gandhi

Do something special make your mix stand out more .
Live a bit more dangerous and be adventurous not just like everyone elses mixes
There are so many people on here that load up the tracks get them level and ad some reverb
well does that make it art? Does that make it interesting to hear one mix after another sounding more or less the same.
Your mixes sound ok just don't get into a rut of people telling you what to do and stifling your creativity.
I can hear you feel what you are doing and that's good
Your main problem is eq skills and your levels need work as your snare as example is just not there most of the time
but I do feel something in the mix regardless.
(29-05-2014, 02:56 AM)takka360 Wrote: There are so many people on here that load up the tracks get them level and ad some reverb
well does that make it art? Does that make it interesting to hear one mix after another sounding more or less the same.

I disagree. I find different mixes of any given song by different artists are like different members of a family. Sure they resemble each other because they're built from the same material but they're also distinctly recognizable individuals, in some cases radically different from one another (have you ever noticed that siblings in just about every family are usually almost diametrically opposed in personalities? Rolleyes ).

There's nothing wrong with being creative with a mix so long as you're not just pushing the envelope only for the sake of pushing it. Often times what's considered "the norm" for a given art form has become "the norm" for a reason: because it works. In other words, if you're going to push the envelope, don't lick it and cut yourself on it, too; if you're going to go against "the norm," be sure you know why you're ignoring "standard" practice and what effect you're looking for by doing so.

My refusal to use compression in mastering is a good example. I understand why it's done, and I've stated on many occasions in a variety of postings and on my profile exactly why I won't use that technique and I can explain exactly the sound I'm looking for by not using "industry standard" technique.

To extend the "art" metaphor, it's fun to just throw paint at a canvas just because we feel like it, but unless we know where we're throwing the paint and why nothing worthwhile is likely to come out of the endeavour.

(29-05-2014, 02:56 AM)takka360 Wrote: Your mixes sound ok just don't get into a rut of people telling you what to do and stifling your creativity.

Actually, I agree.

When someone offers me input on a mix I evaluate their advice held up against my opinion of their work (if I've heard any) and the overall vision I have for that particular project. If I consider the advice sound, I take it; if I don't, I don't. That simple. How many times have you seen me take a whole bunch of advice but then at the end say, "But I left 'C' the way I had it because I like it that way." Tongue

When someone gives you advice on a piece of art you've created, we artists tend to have the neurotic knee-jerk reaction, assuming they're right in what they say. But... they may not be right. At that point, you need to ask yourself three questions: What don't they like about you work? Why don't they like it? Does their reason for not liking your work have any bearing on what you were trying to accomplish with your work?

When you get to that third question, if the answer is "no" then that's advice you can safely ignore; if the answer is "yes," then it might be advice worth considering. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
(29-05-2014, 04:05 AM)Pedaling Prince Wrote:
(29-05-2014, 02:56 AM)takka360 Wrote: There are so many people on here that load up the tracks get them level and ad some reverb

I disagree. I find different mixes of any given song by different artists are like different members of a family. Sure they resemble each other because they're built from the same material but they're also distinctly recognizable individuals, in some cases radically different from one another (have you ever noticed that siblings in just about every family are usually almost diametrically opposed in personalities? Rolleyes ).

There's nothing wrong with being creative with a mix so long as you're not just pushing the envelope only for the sake of pushing it. Often times what's considered "the norm" for a given art form has become "the norm" for a reason: because it works. In other words, if you're going to push the envelope, don't lick it and cut yourself on it, too; if you're going to go against "the norm," be sure you know why you're ignoring "standard" practice and what effect you're looking for by doing so.

My refusal to use compression in mastering is a good example. I understand why it's done, and I've stated on many occasions in a variety of postings and on my profile exactly why I won't use that technique and I can explain exactly the sound I'm looking for by not using "industry standard" technique.

To extend the "art" metaphor, it's fun to just throw paint at a canvas just because we feel like it, but unless we know where we're throwing the paint and why nothing worthwhile is likely to come out of the endeavour.

(29-05-2014, 02:56 AM)takka360 Wrote: Your mixes sound ok just don't get into a rut of people telling you what to do and stifling your creativity.

Actually, I agree.

When someone offers me input on a mix I evaluate their advice held up against my opinion of their work (if I've heard any) and the overall vision I have for that particular project. If I consider the advice sound, I take it; if I don't, I don't. That simple. How many times have you seen me take a whole bunch of advice but then at the end say, "But I left 'C' the way I had it because I like it that way." Tongue

When someone gives you advice on a piece of art you've created, we artists tend to have the neurotic knee-jerk reaction, assuming they're right in what they say. But... they may not be right. At that point, you need to ask yourself three questions: What don't they like about you work? Why don't they like it? Does their reason for not liking your work have any bearing on what you were trying to accomplish with your work?

When you get to that third question, if the answer is "no" then that's advice you can safely ignore; if the answer is "yes," then it might be advice worth considering. Wink

Don't agree on this one, if its just a hobby throw the paint everywhere because you could create a master piece and at the end of the day you are doing it for you know one else.
(29-05-2014, 04:17 AM)takka360 Wrote:
(29-05-2014, 04:05 AM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: To extend the "art" metaphor, it's fun to just throw paint at a canvas just because we feel like it, but unless we know where we're throwing the paint and why nothing worthwhile is likely to come out of the endeavour.

Don't agree on this one, if its just a hobby throw the paint everywhere because you could create a master piece and at the end of the day you are doing it for you know one else.

The only reason to share work in a place like this is to show off your hard work and to learn from others; if you're just doing it for yourself, and you're already happy with the results you're getting, then there's little point in coming in here. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
We are all doing it for ourselves, but can still learn more from others that is why most people are on here.
If I said black was black you would say it was white its just the way you are that's why we all love you.