Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robert Hammon - The Elephant (Blackcapaudio mix)
Really enjoyed mixing this song. The chorus is particularly grungey and I love it, vocals reminded me a little of Biffy Clyro as well!

Overall idea for this mix was to have the chorus guitars nice and thick like 90's grunge acts (think Smashing Pumpkins etc.) with the verse being a more tucked back affair. For the verse vocals as they're almost spoken I gave them a slightly filtered eq and heavily compressed them so you could hear all the breaths, almost like somebody whispering down a phone, then opened it up on the chorus. Also panned the double tracks of the chorus vocals slightly left and right, I dont know why, I just did it in my initial pass and liked it so that's how it stayed.

The drum room track I didn't use as the tail of it just felt disconnected no matter how I processed it so instead I mixed the drums dry then added reverb to the overall kit. It's a pretty dry song anyway so not much lost there. I did also add a snare sample blended in with the recorded snare just to give it some consistency and used the toms they provided. As you can tell from my last few mixes I'm apparently lazy with toms nowadays and just blend the provided in haha. I also wasn't feeling the verse guitar sound/chords - it was pretty angular and jarring which may well have been the artists intent but I just tucked it waaaaay back and kept bass and vocals as the priority for the verses. helped to add dynamic interest when the excellent chorus guitars came in.

Again perhaps a quieter mix than it should be at around -10/11, that just seems to be where I'm hitting currently when checking before uploading. Must be how I'm monitoring/referencing nowadays I guess, will look into that after my last few uploads.

Thanks!

.mp3    Robert Hammon - The Elephant (Blackcapaudio mix).mp3 --  (Download: 11.33 MB)