Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: Secretariat - Borderline
This song touched a chord with me. I live in an economically depressed area; I suspect a lot of people in Sydney, Nova Scotia would be able to relate to this song. Sad

This thing was really difficult to balance, especially the drums and guitars. I generally try to get a balance that works equally well on my headphones and my speakers and when I'd get the guitars and drums sounding right on one they'd be too loud or too soft on the other. Finally I found a balance between the two extremes but it took some effort. And to think I thought this was going to be an easy mix because it's only 12 tracks; just goes to show how unpredictable this art form can be... Tongue

So. Any comments and/or suggestions? Undecided

.m4a    138 Borderline 1.m4a --  (Download: 11.12 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Nice sounding John. Good job.
Really nice. Like the balance of bass and drums. And the vocal is clear. I think there's a little bit to much high frequency energy (above 2khz) in the right side of the mix. (eg. at 1:36) coming from the guitars. I notice it particularly on headphones .Smile
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
Mahatma Gandhi

(28-05-2014, 04:18 AM)NosMos Wrote: I think there's a little bit to much high frequency energy (above 2khz) in the right side of the mix. (eg. at 1:36) coming from the guitars.

Now that you mention it that is a wee bit sharp. OK; I cut 2000 Hz by 4.5 dB on that guitar; how's it sound now? Smile

.m4a    BorderlineA.m4a --  (Download: 11.09 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Theres no guts in the mix ,the acoustic guitars are nearly as loud as the vox. and doing in my ear drums
the chorus just don't happen at all and the lead sounds like its not even in the same song.
Nice job overall - well balanced mix....loved AcuGtr/Vox during verses

couple of comments ...the OH track seems to be panned quite wide..I'm getting snare in stereo...which is nice for attack but loses directness and drive imo ... i know from other mixes of yours that you like OH wide so I'm sure this is intentional

dry vocals/wet guitar solo mismatch .... each is OK on their own but noticeable moving from solo into drop-chorus...again i know you like mixes on the dry side so good on you for adding effects to solo.
(06-06-2014, 04:16 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: the OH track seems to be panned quite wide..I'm getting snare in stereo...which is nice for attack but loses directness and drive imo ... i know from other mixes of yours that you like OH wide so I'm sure this is intentional

Actually, in the case of an OH track recorded in stereo I pan the close mics to match as closely as possible the stereo image I'm hearing in the OH track, so my drums are only as wide as that OH track is. Wink

(06-06-2014, 04:16 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: dry vocals/wet guitar solo mismatch .... each is OK on their own but noticeable moving from solo into drop-chorus...again i know you like mixes on the dry side so good on you for adding effects to solo.

Yes, I'm aware of that problem. It sounded fine to me at first but after listening to it a few times on my iPhone the mismatch tends to distract me. I've got a few too many irons in the fire at the moment but I plan to address that pretty soon, possibly this weekend; whenever I do get to it I'll be posting the revised mix here. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Again a wonderfully realistic soundin mix of yours. Some suggestions:
As mentioned - the OHs are full left right, narrowing them some gets a thumbs up from me Big Grin
In verses you could turn acc gtrs down a bit to make chorus bigger. Try ridin the vocal fader or compres him a bit harder, some words nearly disappear. For one: is the american dollar strong enough to buy a young man a - eh what ? drink ? last word disappears.
Agree the wet solo comes as a surprise - either make it dryer or spill some water on the rest o the mix (I would suggest the first option)
I like the sound of the acoustics a lot !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(12-06-2014, 11:44 AM)Voelund Wrote: For one: is the american dollar strong enough to buy a young man a - eh what ? drink ?

He says: 'Is the CANADIAN dollar strong enough' Big Grin

the answer is no.. in Canada booze is crazy expensive Dodgy

(12-06-2014, 11:44 AM)Voelund Wrote: Again a wonderfully realistic soundin mix of yours.

Blush

(12-06-2014, 11:44 AM)Voelund Wrote: Some suggestions:
As mentioned - the OHs are full left right, narrowing them some gets a thumbs up from me Big Grin

This is the only one of your suggestions here I decided not to take; the OH has the snare far right and that's where I'm keeping it since that's evidently (based on the OH recording) where Secretariat wanted it. Tongue

(12-06-2014, 11:44 AM)Voelund Wrote: In verses you could turn acc gtrs down a bit to make chorus bigger.

More dynamic range. Happy to oblige there. Big Grin Automated the acoustics a little. No dramatic change but I brought them up and down by a dB or two as appropriate. Wink

(12-06-2014, 11:44 AM)Voelund Wrote: Try ridin the vocal fader or compres him a bit harder, some words nearly disappear. For one: is the american dollar strong enough to buy a young man a - eh what ? drink ? last word disappears.

Compress?! Now you oughtta know me better than that by now... Tongue I automated to vocal level just a touch; didn't want to spoil that nice, natural vocal sound. Big Grin

(12-06-2014, 11:44 AM)Voelund Wrote: Agree the wet solo comes as a surprise - either make it dryer or spill some water on the rest o the mix (I would suggest the first option)

Actually, I have been meaning to add a little more reverb to these vocals for a while now. So I did; that should fix the problem. Smile

(12-06-2014, 11:44 AM)Voelund Wrote: I like the sound of the acoustics a lot !

Yeah, me too; love a good acoustic guitar recording. Big Grin

So, what do you think now...? Undecided

.m4a    BorderlineB.m4a --  (Download: 11.1 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures