Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enda Reilly: Cur An Long Ag Seol
This song was a good one to spend a few hours on. The first thing I did was fix some problems with guitar and bass timing and mute a bit of bass before the first chorus.

On bass mic1 I notched out 7 db at 92hz and 255hz. Bass mic2 I notched out 6db 118hz. I bussed these together notched the bus at 60hz to give the drum a little space. I compressed this with max. gain reduction of 8dbs.

High passed the guitar at 60hz. compressed max. 6dbs. Second EQ with hi shelf at 5khz +5dbs. Cut 5dbs with wide Q (0.60) at 260hz.

Decided to only use DrumMic2. compressed by about 3 dbs. boosted 5dbs at 980 hz with wide Q. pitch shifted down 4 semitones so the main frequency is about 60hz.

For the vocal I high passed at 75 hz. compressed lightly ( 3 dbs) with logics Vintage FET . Second compressor -3dbs with studioVCA . Then boosted 5dbs at 4.3khz and a high shelf at 13.6 kHz + 10dbs. A de-esser at 3.6 kHz not for esses but for frequency in the voice sticking out. Latter I automated volume.

Brushes just a touch of compression 2dbs max.

High pass filtered both mandolins at 150hz. compressed about 6 dbs. boosted 4bd at 270hz and a high shelf at 6khz.

Both fiddles I compressed a little for longer term dynamics and cut 2.5dbs with wide Q at 4khz.

The accordion got a bit of high frequency spread with logics stereo spread.

Two sends. A room reverb with low and high shelves. A wide slapback delay which I only used very subtly.

Tried several different ways of spreading thing across the stereo spectrum. So no and So on that's about it. All good fun. Any feedback welcomed especially if it makes me rethink something and also especially if it doesn't.Tongue

.mp3    Cur An Long Ag Seol.mp3 --  (Download: 4.49 MB)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
Mahatma Gandhi

I like the smooth sound you have here.

One thing came to my mind where you could develop this mix. How about creating more 3D-feeling. Someone could be more close and crips and others more back and smooth. And furthermore, one and the same instrument can crisp and near in the solo and back and smooth while supporting the singer. That kind of small things could give more movement to this mix.

Bass disappers at 0:28. Is it an accident or with purpose?
This sounds OK. I like the nice solid bass without being overbearing; your approach, doing complimentary EQs on the two bass mics, seems to be the right approach. My only complaint about this mix really is it feels just a tiny bit congested, not as dynamic as it should for this kind of music. In my opinion I think you may have pushed the compression on some of the tracks a little further than would be ideal, or maybe just used it on too many tracks for my taste. Overall, though, a very nice sound. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(26-05-2014, 05:10 PM)Olli H Wrote: I like the smooth sound you have here.

One thing came to my mind where you could develop this mix. How about creating more 3D-feeling. Someone could be more close and crips and others more back and smooth. And furthermore, one and the same instrument can crisp and near in the solo and back and smooth while supporting the singer. That kind of small things could give more movement to this mix.

Bass disappers at 0:28. Is it an accident or with purpose?

Agree about sense of space here I really didnt give it much focus it got late and I had to leave it.

I cut the bass out at 0:28 because it was clashing with the guitar and no matter how I lined it up I didnt think it worked so I muted it. I felt it increased the impact of the next section when it comes in with the drum. Does this work ? I'm not sure.

Thanks for the feedback

Mahatma Gandhi

(27-05-2014, 01:54 AM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: This sounds OK. I like the nice solid bass without being overbearing; your approach, doing complimentary EQs on the two bass mics, seems to be the right approach. My only complaint about this mix really is it feels just a tiny bit congested, not as dynamic as it should for this kind of music. In my opinion I think you may have pushed the compression on some of the tracks a little further than would be ideal, or maybe just used it on too many tracks for my taste. Overall, though, a very nice sound. Smile

I do probably tend to err on the side of a little to much comp. rather than not enough. However you are right a track like this could probably be let go a little bit .I was quite surprised when I saw the bounced file and how little dynamic difference I had across the song.
Thanks for the feedback.Smile

Mahatma Gandhi

(27-05-2014, 07:57 AM)NosMos Wrote: I cut the bass out at 0:28 because it was clashing with the guitar and no matter how I lined it up I didnt think it worked so I muted it. I felt it increased the impact of the next section when it comes in with the drum. Does this work ? I'm not sure.

I noticed that. It works to a point, but this is a technique I find works better in rock; on acoustic like this it feels a little unnatural, and distracting. I didn't say anything about it because I considered it too minor an issue to mention and, as I said, it does work OK. But, if you ask me, you should allow that "clash" to happen, since clashes like that are a normal, natural part of acoustic performance; IMHO, it adds character to a performance. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(27-05-2014, 11:15 AM)Pedaling Prince Wrote:
(27-05-2014, 07:57 AM)NosMos Wrote: I cut the bass out at 0:28 because it was clashing with the guitar and no matter how I lined it up I didnt think it worked so I muted it. I felt it increased the impact of the next section when it comes in with the drum. Does this work ? I'm not sure.

I noticed that. It works to a point, but this is a technique I find works better in rock; on acoustic like this it feels a little unnatural, and distracting. I didn't say anything about it because I considered it too minor an issue to mention and, as I said, it does work OK. But, if you ask me, you should allow that "clash" to happen, since clashes like that are a normal, natural part of acoustic performance; IMHO, it adds character to a performance. Smile
Yeah I do get a bit surgical sometimes and songs like this really are about a certain character in the performance which can be ruined if you start cutting . I dont think cutting it out was really the answer but I didnt want to leave it as was. I've noticed in other mixes it doesnt really bother me so it must be something in the balance of my mix.
Mahatma Gandhi

Really like your eq work on this Smile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
very nice instrument balance here.....agree with previous comments..very smoothCool

Vocals seem not quite as clear as they might...maybe the vox effects are pushing them back into the mix slightly ...not sure...getting a bit of an effect tail on the opening "Nach deas iad ....."

good job
Good mix ! I agree the vocals would benefit from bein a bit more in your face, little less effect.
The bas/guitar clash is very normal with acoustic instruments and I must admit I idint notice it as I played a lot o acoustic music and as John points out: its part of the sound.
I wish I had hishelfcutted the mandolins, thats a great idea !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order