Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boogiesnakes "It's My Right" Mix
Hello all, this is my mix of Boogiesnakes's "It's My Right." 
Would like to hear how others approached panning with regards to the single-tracked guitar during the verse

.mp3    BoogiesnakesItsMyRightv1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.01 MB)

I never posted a mix of this one but I've messed with it a bit. What I did was just keep guitar 1 centered and eq'd guitar to to be more of an accent and support of guitar 1. I added a stereo effect too to give it some stereo interest. I don't think it does anything radically different than guitar 1 so I just viewed it as a 'lift' for the sections it was in. I did consider multing guitar 1 so when it was on it's own in the verses it would be centered but panned hard opposite guitar two when they played together. Could have worked I suppose. I'm not against hard panning the guitar but I feel like it anchors the overall business by being centered while also supporting the rather dated and crotchety lyrics.

I can only give this a quick listen but it works overall. It could use a bit more kick to work with the bass. I can feel it but it could use some more beater to help propel and ground the busy guitar part.

The vocal is a little out front but works with this song.

I both like and dislike the solo distortion. I hear it because I know it's added so I'm conflicted. It feels added but that might just be me.

I think overall it could have a bit more energy and dynamics. It feels a bit small. Maybe centering the guitar would connect it to the rhythm section a bit more and make it feel like a band. Maybe a bit less lower mids and a bit more highs and lows? Like a dip in the 300hz area and a dip in the 1khz range because the vocals are a little 1khz heavy. And a little more low/sub to help the bass guitar keep the groove and some highs for some air.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the feedback! Definitely agree that I could do more with the dynamics and tone of the mix.

Regarding the guitar, I actually tried a variation of the imaging you described (centered during verses, hard panned during chorus) but found that everything was getting cluttered in the center of the image. Was there anything particular you did with EQ'ing to make the guitar sit better in the center?
(20-12-2023, 05:30 PM)lowlifeform Wrote: Thanks for the feedback! Definitely agree that I could do more with the dynamics and tone of the mix.

Regarding the guitar, I actually tried a variation of the imaging you described (centered during verses, hard panned during chorus) but found that everything was getting cluttered in the center of the image. Was there anything particular you did with EQ'ing to make the guitar sit better in the center?
I can't really recall. I may need to try the song again to get a better feel for it. I'm sure I eq'd the guitar but I can't recall how. I think I just didn't worry too much about it and kept the level back in the verses. It's such a 'background' kind of part it can sit back behind the vocal so I don't think I eq'd it to stay out of the way of the vocal. It''s almost a percussion part. The bass is doing most of the

I'm pretty sure I automated it up on the little fills in between the vocal lines, though.