Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback wanted!
Hey All,
Here is my attempt at mixing Hungarian Dance No. 5.  I would love any feedback  Smile

A short rundown on what I did:
I first removed/reduced as many guitar "squeaks" from both the stereo room mic track and the acoustic DI track.  I EQ'd the acoustic DI track to reduce boominess and give some presence.  I also removed some harsh frequencies and automated clip gain for a less dynamic performance.  I used some soft clipping, saturation, and two compressors in series to even things out even more.  I then added a Haas effect slapback delay and panned them slightly left and right to give the DI track more thickness and width.  I bussed it to a short plate reverb and a room reverb, mixing the two to smooth things out and give more width.

For the saxophone track I EQ'd some lows and highs out, but added some more warmth at about 200-300Hz.  I removed some harsh frequencies and automated the gain to get a more stable level through the track.  I then used some soft clipping, an LA2A, then an opto compressor to reign in the dynamincs.  I did super light compression, just knocking off about 1db with each compressor because too much compression was really bringing out the breathiness of the saxophone.  I then bussed it to a short reverb, the same room reverb as above, and then a stereo Ping-Pong delay for added width.

Then I blended in the stereo room mic and EQ'd it to fit with the other tracks.  This required removing a lot of 200-600Hz area.  I excited the top end and then did some gentle compression.  I used a transient controller to reduce some attack so it was more of a room sound.  I bussed it to the room reverb.

I put some saturation and tape emulation on each track for more warmth and used a tiny amount of RBass at about 120Hz to make the mix feel more full.

I finished off with some more volume automation.  

I bounced the track and put some additional EQ, glue compression, saturation, width enhancement, and tape emulation.  Then I did a final render.

Sorry for all the reading and please let me know what you think!

.mp3    HDNo5_WFGRemix.mp3 --  (Download: 2.59 MB)