Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guarna: 'Hawaii (feat. Kalv)'
mix&master

.mp3    GUARNA MASTERED.mp3 --  (Download: 8.83 MB)

Little details always gives inspiration to change your perspective
I like the vocal a lot. Your mix is nice and warm. It sounds really nice in high volume, but in lower volume I miss the kick. I think you should back off the comp on the vocal a bit more. Right now, tho very nice, I hear the breathe in (inhale) in each phrase becomes almost a gasp. In my thin experience that usually is the result of hard compression w/ fast release. back it off until you hear he takes an inhale more naturally. I also notice that the sub in this song is too long. Maybe you try to control it (I use a combi of a gate/ a comp for mine). As far as the other synths go, I try to keep it around a quarter note in length or until they don't get in the way. It's a slow song so a 1/4 note is plenty of time for you to wield that release. I had a lot of problems with the E piano. It just got in the way of everything. But yours I can hear tho I think you can still HP it a bit more. You're not gonna lose anything if you take it easy. I think you should LP the sub a bit more to leave room for the kick. Around 1:14 ish, the synth3 seems to be buried in the mix. Higher fader to bring it up should give you some of the top end for the mix too. I don't know what you know or don't, so if anything I say is foggy just ask. Sometimes words do get in the way, at least in my case. I still like you mix. Hope it helps. Cheers!

*I have a trick you may find useful for the compressor. If you follow it you will never infringe on any instruments' hits, and it applies to any song. Take this song as an example, the snare, at the fast hits (0:54 ish), the roll, its length is ~118ms. If you keep the total length of the time of the attack and the time of the release within that length you will never smear the next hit. You can test it by looping only the part where the snare rolls and try different length to hear the diff. Stay within that length you can pick and choose your sound, depending on your taste, by varying the length of both the attack/release. Use a digital compressor for learning purposes first before you go for the other types which don't tell you the time. Try it and let me know how it works out for you.
(29-01-2024, 08:54 PM)SonicTramp Wrote: I like the vocal a lot. Your mix is nice and warm. It sounds really nice in high volume, but in lower volume I miss the kick. I think you should back off the comp on the vocal a bit more. Right now, tho very nice, I hear the breathe in (inhale) in each phrase becomes almost a gasp. In my thin experience that usually is the result of hard compression w/ fast release. back it off until you hear he takes an inhale more naturally. I also notice that the sub in this song is too long. Maybe you try to control it (I use a combi of a gate/ a comp for mine). As far as the other synths go, I try to keep it around a quarter note in length or until they don't get in the way. It's a slow song so a 1/4 note is plenty of time for you to wield that release. I had a lot of problems with the E piano. It just got in the way of everything. But yours I can hear tho I think you can still HP it a bit more. You're not gonna lose anything if you take it easy. I think you should LP the sub a bit more to leave room for the kick. Around 1:14 ish, the synth3 seems to be buried in the mix. Higher fader to bring it up should give you some of the top end for the mix too. I don't know what you know or don't, so if anything I say is foggy just ask. Sometimes words do get in the way, at least in my case. I still like you mix. Hope it helps. Cheers!

*I have a trick you may find useful for the compressor. If you follow it you will never infringe on any instruments' hits, and it applies to any song. Take this song as an example, the snare, at the fast hits (0:54 ish), the roll, its length is ~118ms. If you keep the total length of the time of the attack and the time of the release within that length you will never smear the next hit. You can test it by looping only the part where the snare rolls and try different length to hear the diff. Stay within that length you can pick and choose your sound, depending on your taste, by varying the length of both the attack/release. Use a digital compressor for learning purposes first before you go for the other types which don't tell you the time. Try it and let me know how it works out for you.

Thank you very much for the suggestions Sonictramp.Cheers!
Little details always gives inspiration to change your perspective