Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moosemusic - Big Dummy Shake
My stab at this one.

VOX: Verses: Massey CT5, Chorus: Bombfactory 1176 remake, EQ: EQ III plus a TapeSaturation

Bass: Focusrite EQ, 1176 BF and a SansAmp

Guits: slight EQ on all, and also a bit of a SansAmp on the Guit Buss.

Drums: EQ here and there, snare has a tapedelay and a plate reverb on its output bus. Mix bus for drums a little saturated with THC from massey and a maxim just because I like it.

FX on vox... Tapedelay, plate reverb with a massive predelay.

Masterbus: Just a LM2007 that doesnt do anything except look pretty.

had a difficult time figuring out where this song actually sits. So after downloading it last night, went home, had coffee, came back to the studio this morning and then had a go at it.

.mp3    Big Dummy Shake.mp3 --  (Download: 7.59 MB)

"Anything too dumb to be spoken should be sung" Know your bones - aKing
Hey man, nice mix, but a few things I'm noticing...

The guitars have a scooped midrange with a bit of a nasal quality during the verse, and I can barely hear the bass guitar at all? Beefing up the bass would probably solve the issue without massing with the guitars at all.

The EQ sweeps you're using are an interesting effect, but I think maybe you're overdoing it a bit. It makes sense to use something like that building up to the biggest chorus, but used throughout is a little heavy handed in my opinion. I think the difference in spectral balance from one part of the song to the next is a little jarringly wide... it's almost like walking from room to room and each room is a completely different color. It's tough because of the wildly different drum kits, but I'd recommend approaching this mix by trying to find where the crazy spectral differences are coming from and finding a place where they can meet in the middle so that the transitions are smoother.

And the last main thing that's standing out to me is that the vocal sounds way wetter than everything else in the mix... there are places where I feel the guitars and even the rhodes are closer to me than the lead vocal, even though the lead vocal is louder. Try different reverbs on the master bus, and note which instruments seem to work with each you try, then delete the master bus reverbs and reconfigure them as sends for those instruments so you can build a fake acoustic space... that's what works for me, anyway Big Grin

Though I must say, the tonality and aggression of the lead vocal are impressive and it sounds like you're quite good at getting the sounds you're hearing in your head... I'd just take it a little easy and worry about the balance first... THEN go crazy with the effects.

Cool work, dude, lots of good ideas here. Big Grin
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Coolio.. Thanks for the feedback.. The guits were as they were recorded just a tad dirtier, but I think I might have overdone it on that end. Added a bit of a verb to those guits on their own bus to see if that fits better. Upped the bass, but Im not too happy where it sits, but Im not trusting my room at the moment after I had to reconfigure to 7.1 the space still feels weird.

The intro... Too lazy to go fix that today. True, I did overdo the filtersweep.

Lets see how the next one pans out.
Here is the adjusted mix for this track..

changed bass EQ a bit. Backed away Vox FX.

And from there rerode the faders just for another run.

.mp3    Big Dummy Shake.mp3 --  (Download: 7.59 MB)