Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaf-ComeAround
My mix of this song. For the drums (loop1) I used multiband compression and parallel processing. It was a challenge.Undecided

.mp3    LeafComeAround-NosMosMix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.67 MB)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
Mahatma Gandhi

Hello

Nice and/but a loud mix. Some points I noticed.
The bass is a little bit uneven around 70 – 120 hz and it has a kind of big role in your mix. I would like to hear other instruments more.
The snare could have more body around 200 hz. Not an easy thing to do with only drum loops to work with.
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.
Yeah I made the bass prominent because I couldnt get the drums sounding the way I wanted. Its only after I mixed this that I read the mix rescue where Mike isolates the snare with a gate sidechained to the snare frequency and replaces it. I might try this.
Thanks for the feedback
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
Mahatma Gandhi

...absence of snare really leaves a HUGE hole in the mix - so has very little drive....which isn't helped by the slightly uneven level of the kick, which itself is battling the bass for a slot in the mix.

Multi-band compression can be a difficult tool to get good results with , and probably not the first thing i would reach for to solve this drum sound. A simpler method would be to be to use a parametric EQ to sculpt the basic frequency curve....use a smidgen of parallel compression to give it some attack....add pinch of saturation to enhance harmonics and timbre...Throw in some verb/delay for air and you're done

Your task may be made more difficult by having such a loud master level ... as it hides problems with balancing levels....'cos everything is LOUD

On the plus side...I like your guitars and vocalsSmile