Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixing course
Part of our assignment is to upload our mixes here and get feedback, so fire away

.mp3    Humphrey_Lab2_Revision.mp3 --  (Download: 11.49 MB)

I can only give a qucik passing reaction at the moment. So much so that I can't go back and spell 'quick' correctly. Frankly, I refuse.

It's a but muddy in the lower mid range/upper low? region. The guitars and vocals kind of ride on top of this percolating, bubbling rhythm section.

I don't know the multitracks and I'm just on earbuds right now so I don't really know what's going on. The bass might be too fat. It could sit mack a little in the mix and maybe automate the times it should pop out.

The vocals feel a bit thin and mid-rangy and I wonder if they were eq'd to fit in the mix as opposed to being the focus of the song.

That said, I don't hate it. It's not right but it's not unpleasant to listen to. It's on in the background as I type and I don't feel the need to turn it off. I like the overall energy it has.

I know that's not much help but what jumped out at me in a passing listen.
hey Roy, just some helpful things .
get the bass guitar down in the mix . All your elements are heard but need a little re balancing. Have the kick with a bit of click say around 5 k . sounds like your too heavy on the over heads.
and snare cutting through too much. Nice tone on guitars keep them as that . drums are main problem here. the given vocal tracks here give here are a little tricky to get good as they have a strange tone to them, but i kind of like your tone. your balance with vocal against bvs are good level but bvs poke through too much at times , have a look at compression on this to even out balance.
over as above it not unpleasant on the ear.
hope this is helpful? All thoughts sent with encouragement. look forward to mix 2
(15-02-2024, 09:38 AM)Rustyruss Wrote: hey Roy, just some helpful things .
get the bass guitar down in the mix . All your elements are heard but need a little re balancing. Have the kick with a bit of click say around 5 k . sounds like your too heavy on the over heads.
and snare cutting through too much. Nice tone on guitars keep them as that . drums are main problem here. the given vocal tracks here give here are a little tricky to get good as they have a strange tone to them, but i kind of like your tone. your balance with vocal against bvs are good level but bvs  poke through too much at times , have a look at compression on this to even out balance.
over as above it not unpleasant on the ear.
hope this is helpful? All thoughts sent with encouragement. look forward to mix 2
Ha, not my mix but beyond that I'm sure everything you said could be of use to the original poster. Though it seems it was posted for a mixing course awhile ago so who knows if they'll see it.
Cheers.
Hi Roy, yes just seen the date, also thought it was you who posted the mix.
My BAD.....
Cheers.