Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waste of time
Please... work on a voice with all the band inside is a totally waste of time... i really ask how is it possible in 2023....

BlueTigerMastering studio gears:
Apple Mac M2 +
Softube Console 1 + Weiss/TubeTech plugz
TC Electronic Clarity metering system
Audiolab M-DAC and Cyrus pre and DAC
Dynaudio BM15A, Mackie HR824, Yamaha HS7 monitors
+ SVS subwoofer
Sony MDR-EX500 in-ear headphones
(17-11-2023, 09:18 PM)BlueTiger Wrote: Please... work on a voice with all the band inside is a totally waste of time... i really ask how is it possible in 2023....

I don't know about 2023, but I feel I did a pretty decent job of this one in 2022.  I might even have the mix session archived somewhere.

I would agree this thread is probably a waste of time if your goal is something other than learning/practicing to mix and you are not up for a bit of a challenge.

Without looking at the session, I have a feeling I just muted the vocal mics at the start where there is no singing, and made the best balance I could with all faders up around the vocals (and the bleed), and was fairly careful with any vocal processing.

Hope that helps?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
A voice MUST be recorded in a separate room... have you ever see a "vocal booth"?
Recording a voice with the other instruments in the same room is a crap...
If you take a live session is an other story but it's not the place to post it...

Apple Mac M2 +
+ SVS subwoofer
It's a live session. Most of the Telefunken uploads are. They're mainly showcases for their mics. So there will definitely be some bleed and issues to deal with. That's all part of mixing. Sometimes you might have to mix a live recording. Sometimes bands all record in one room. All that said, it seems based on the reference mix provided and mixes others have done that a decent mix can be made from what really is a pretty decent recording. I've certainly mixed worse.

There is some utility to be gained from having to mix less than stellar tracks. You might not be interested in them and no one is forcing you to work on them but they certainly have value. And I appreciate TF making these songs available to us.

In the end you have to mix what you're given even if it's difficult and takes some effort. That's what makes this forum the right place to post a track like this.
(18-11-2023, 05:48 PM)BlueTiger Wrote: A voice MUST be recorded in a separate room... have you ever see a "vocal booth"?
Recording a voice with the other instruments in the same room is a crap...
If you take a live session is an other story but it's not the place to post it...

Hi,

On a personal note, it always saddens me deeply when I see this sort of attitude here.  I feel it not only reflects badly on the original poster, to me it also shows great disrespect towards the artists, engineers and our host who all kindly make all this available to us to use for free.  Not to mention the hard work of all those forum members that have put in the required time and effort and have given it a good go to make a great mix from this session.

Of course, everyone is free to present whatever impression of themselves they like.  All the same, for people aspiring to make a career in the audio industry I would think that most artists and engineers would want to work with someone with a more positive attitude perhaps?  You never know who is reading this forum.

This session is in fact a live recording made by Telefunken.  I'm sure you'll be able to find the video on youtube.  They invite artists to perform a live session at their workshop or live studio, who they record to also showcase and demonstrate their mics. 

The challenge here is to use your skill, judgement and hard work to present the session in the best possible light.  If this isn't for you, or you are not prepared to rise to the challenge - just move on to something else.  No need to pass judgement.

Mixers don't only mix perfect studio recordings.  For example, check out the video of Tom Lord-Alge's mix of One OK Rock - We are.  I recall Tom mentions it in one of his videos that this was mixed from the live concert recording, and was a huge amount of work - especially the vocal.  The results speak for themselves.  I have a feeling the crowd vocal might actually have come from the bleed in the lead vocal mic too, not 100% sure.

Anyway, again - I hope this advice is of some help going forwards.

Cheers!

Edit: I think this is the video.  37 million views. Certainly not what I would call a waste of time!

The vocal performance here is amazing, which is why they were keen to put in the work to be able to use it.
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
37mlns views should have big value? not for me... no value at all... for my opionion is a crap... crap on crap... recording art, high quality studio recordings are an other planet... that's all... i don't care about mainstream crap... world is full of that... it's pollution only... telefunken gears lose a lot on that kind of public mixes...
anyway no problem, that's my opinion and i'm sure it's the opinion of other 37mlns peoples+1...
i give 5 stars to cambridge platform... at the end i have only to skip recordings like this, i enjoy my life, you enjy yours..
hav e a nice day my friends...

Apple Mac M2 +
+ SVS subwoofer
Cool.