Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kangoro - King Rascal
Hi,

My mix.

Cheers!

Update: Added Mix 1.0

.mp3    Kangoro - King Rascal.mp3 --  (Download: 8.06 MB)

.mp3    Kangoro - King Rascal. 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 8.06 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Sounds good. I do wish I could hear the vocals better. They're a bit better in the second verse? section? Mid bit. Less going on then I reckon. They stand out better if I listen quietly so I'd suspect there's some lower midrange masking or just general distractions/business (busy-ness). I dunno. I don't think it's an accent thing, I've watched my share of Eastenders, but maybe it's my American ears or summat. Maybe too much is going on in the 1.5-3k range?

It's pleasant to listen to and feels like a record but doesn't make me want to commit any minor crimes. It's slight, I've got a rock and I see a window but I'm on the fence.

That one fill @ :23 might bit a bit too much?
I thought it was ok but I think I get what you mean. I'll have another look at it. Meanwhile I'm off to the Winchester.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(08-11-2023, 11:43 PM)mikej Wrote: Meanwhile I'm off to the Winchester.

Cheers!
I'm not up on my rhyming slang.

It's not far off. It does sound really good. There could just be that little more that makes it land better for the listener i all I'm saying. And I think it's more me listening on the loud side. Quieter, it works better. A bit louder and that flute hits the ears a bit hard and makes the vocals feel a bit ...o'er there.

It's just my opinion tho. Maybe someone else will hear it differently.
Hi!

It was a reference to a classic British TV series where the main character, Arthur Daley, would frequent The Winchester Club. I've never seen the film, but there is apparently a line in Shaun Of The Dead that references this too - "Let's Go To The Winchester, have a nice cold pint and wait until all this blows over", which also became a popular meme for a time.

There was the original 1980's series, and there was also a brief revival in 2009.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minder_(TV_series)

Cheers!
Does anyone know where the beat in the background for the first half of verse one in the library mix comes from?

It's possible I've missed something. To me it doesn't seem to match up with any of the supplied loops in the session. I thought it might have been 'flown in' from elsewhere in the track but I couldn't find anything that matched. I suspect it might be one of the loops passed through some sort of multiple filter/delay effect, but I don't really have much in that line plugin-wise really. I nearly just cut and pasted it from the library mix. In the end I gave up and just put the loop through a modulated delay thing.

Cheers!
(09-11-2023, 12:59 AM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

It was a reference to a classic British TV series where the main character, Arthur Daley, would frequent The Winchester Club.  I've never seen the film, but there is apparently a line in Shaun Of The Dead that references this too - "Let's Go To The Winchester, have a nice cold pint and wait until all this blows over", which also became a popular meme for a time.   

There was the original 1980's series, and there was also a brief revival in 2009.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minder_(TV_series)

Cheers!
Damn you for testing my knowledge of British TV.
Also, I've never seen Shaun of the Dead. I've missed pretty much all "Cornetto" movies. I've seen "The World's End" Good soundtrack. I should watch them all.

That said I did catch the Arthur Daley ref in the track so I'm not totally un-hip.
Is the coast clear? Made some changes. Mix 1.0.

Cheers!
(09-11-2023, 03:22 PM)mikej Wrote: Is the coast clear? Made some changes.  Mix 1.0.
Never

That said, 1.0 is better. The vocal feels "in charge" in the previous mix it felt like just another element. It was shy. Now it's got bit of bravado. I'll still move to another car on the subway but he's in charge of that one. In Rap, (I'm old and don't call it Hip Hop (( also born in the Bronx)) the vocal is everything. The Mix works but I do think the vocal could be more 'in your face'. It may not be volume thing but an attitude thing. Or both.

And I know I speak obtusely but sometimes it's easier to reference some specific rather than just saying 'bring it up  dB or two'. Also, I just woke up and need a shower. And artistically, I want King Rascal to make me uncomfortable and/or empower me. I don't know how to express that in SPL or FET electronics or whatnot. And sometimes a good mix violates the norms.

I only say all this because it's a very good mix.

I get that it's hard to decipher. That's the job tho.

Ta
r