Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Doppler Shift - Atrophy (High Dynamic Range '1991 Mix 'n Master by SMS2023_DE)
Hi Guys,

this is the second song I've finished after re-starting this beloved hobby ~3 months ago.

The first song I've tackled was Angels In Amplifiers - I'm Alright (which you can find here in the forum aswell).

I've learned many things in the last 8 weeks...

I hope you'll enjoy listening to this as much as I enjoyed creating it. Smile

Cheers,

Stefan

~~~~~~

Update from November 2nd, 2023

Mmmhh... it seems the Top-End enhancement is like sugar, you quickly get used to adding more without really noticing.

Compared with reference tracks it's clear I overdid it there.

So hereĀ“s the "-sugarfree..." version. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Stefan

~~~~~~

Update from November 4th, 2023

KISS principle update:

-Low frequency resonance optimization for different stereo systems

-High frequency resonance optimization for different stereo systems

-Reverted to live-mastering when evaluating the sound in my car instead of preparing intermediate mixdowns

This current version has the "-wow..." flag in its name.

Cheers,

Stefan

~~~~~~

Update from November 20th, 2023

KISS principle update:

-Evaluated a few other mix bus compressors with comparable settings and selected a new one in order to tame the vocal just a tiny little bit, but keep the song still as dynamic as possible and the timing as tight as before

-A double-check against frequency range changes due to the new compressor is yet open. If I should find any relevant discrepancies, I'll update again

This current version has the "-xow..." flag in its name.

Cheers,

Stefan

~~~~~~

Update from November 21st, 2023

We're getting there... Smile

KISS principle update:

-Accompanying usage of more than one mastering compressor: lower hiss due to optimized operating point(s) and a new preferred sound signature

-Vocal tamed with the new setup but kept alive

-Some slight frequency corrections

-The audio timing & dynamic range are still adequate

This current version has the "-yow..." flag in its name.

Cheers,

Stefan

~~~~~~

Update from November 24th, 2023

Okay, ladies & gentlemen, this is it. I believe we might have something here... and I have my personal mastering stage ready now.

KISS principle update:

-Each part of my final chain is now optimized for the most suitable operating point & sound

-Added a neutral sounding high-resolution mastering compressor in between the main and final compressor for tweaks of 0.02dB steps to reach the dynamic range sweetspot, even with challenging material as this particular one

-Some final tweaks in terms of the sound, tested with my car stereo system

I'm quite pleased - this version has the "-zow..." flag in its name.

Stay healthy & enjoy.

Cheers,

Stefan

.mp3    The Doppler Shift - Atrophy (High Dynamic Range \'1991 Mix \'n Master by SMS2023_DE)-norm.mp3 --  (Download: 12.4 MB)

.mp3    The Doppler Shift - Atrophy (High Dynamic Range \'1991 Mix \'n Master by SMS2023_DE)-norm-sugarfree.mp3 --  (Download: 12.4 MB)

.mp3    The Doppler Shift - Atrophy (High Dynamic Range \'1991 Mix \'n Master by SMS2023_DE)-wow-norm.mp3 --  (Download: 12.4 MB)

.mp3    The Doppler Shift - Atrophy (High Dynamic Range \'1991 Mix \'n Master by SMS2023_DE)-xow-norm.mp3 --  (Download: 12.4 MB)

.mp3    The Doppler Shift - Atrophy (High Dynamic Range \'1991 Mix \'n Master by SMS2023_DE)-yow-norm.mp3 --  (Download: 12.4 MB)

.mp3    The Doppler Shift - Atrophy (High Dynamic Range \'1991 Mix \'n Master by SMS2023_DE)-zow-norm.mp3 --  (Download: 12.4 MB)