Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Let Go - HbGuitar Mix
Had an epic James May session - All 4 songs mixed at once. Tried to get an unified approach for the whole project. Whilst each track is unique, they all have similarities in having strong melodic support instruments e.g violin, cello, clarinet, classical guitar as well as strong lyrical content and deceptively simple arrangements.

Don't Let Go - congas, 3 x guitars and flute

.mp3    DontLetGo_HB_Mix_01.mp3 --  (Download: 9.24 MB)

(18-05-2014, 11:09 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Had an epic James May session - All 4 songs mixed at once. Tried to get an unified approach for the whole project. Whilst each track is unique, they all have similarities in having strong melodic support instruments e.g violin, cello, clarinet, classical guitar as well as strong lyrical content and deceptively simple arrangements.

Don't Let Go - congas, 3 x guitars and flute

Very nice approach.
The most relevant criticism would be, in my opinion in the double bass, that although quite nicely rendered, maybe better than my attempts, seems to be (a little) loud both in monitors and cans.
As a personal choice I would have deepened (lower freqs) a little more the voice. Although (also my) instinct is to high pass, there's quite some lower harmonics in James's voice that naturally warm it even without any major reverb use.
Very nice the balance of flutes and percussion! :-)
cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
(05-06-2014, 08:13 PM)Lammy Wrote: Very nice approach.
The most relevant criticism would be, in my opinion in the double bass, that although quite nicely rendered, maybe better than my attempts, seems to be (a little) loud both in monitors and cans.
As a personal choice I would have deepened (lower freqs) a little more the voice. Although (also my) instinct is to high pass, there's quite some lower harmonics in James's voice that naturally warm it even without any major reverb use.
Very nice the balance of flutes and percussion! :-)
cheers

Hi Lammy, Thanks for your comments

re bass....i think the nature of the arrangement drew me into having a fairly loud bass...i had this image in my mind of a fairly intimate setting with the stand up bass player grooving away....smooth jazz styleCool

re vocal EQ...i do remember playing with the HP setting and not being sure ... as you say there is a bit of warmth lower down.... but when he goes down into the lower register, see 1.40', i think i decided to er on the side of caution

thanks gain for your feedback