Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
uncle dad "thats who i am"
my first country mix

.mp3    UNCLE DAD THATS WHO I AM.mp3 --  (Download: 7.05 MB)

Watch out for the lead line (that banjo). It should come out a little more behind the vocal. Beware of overdoing the fiddle in the unison lines. Probably want to find the harsher tones in those particular spots and back them off just a titch to help it blend without backing you up against a wall. Music is a dynamic thing. If all you're doing is setting levels and letting the song play out, you're not doing your part for the music. Sometimes, a solo line should be raised so it comes out well. Other times, it is not the solo that should be raised, but everyone else that needs to make room (eg, rhythm guitars giving way for a keyboard solo because, for example, the tone of the keyboard isn't one that has a particuarly aggressive attack and can't cut through otherwise). These moves may be as little as 1-2 dB, they could be as much as 8+. The song will tell you what is necessary. Sometimes when a guitar kicks in a different effect or switches from his rhythm pickup to his lead, you will find that you need to put a different EQ profile on it to help keep it in character with the rest of the tune (and ocassionally to do exactly the opposite!). One way to do this in a DAW is to copy that section to a new track and set it up accordingly, lowering the primary track by maybe 12-15 dB or muting it altogether. That's the great thing about a DAW. As long as you have CPU power, you never run out of faders!

This is a good mix, overall. Nothing stands too far forward and there's nothing about it that makes me want to rip the head phones off or the like. Good job!
Old West Audio
Good mix. I like the slap delay you have on main vocal, backing vocal in my opinion would sit better if it was 3 or 4 dB lower. Drums could be louder, but they sound good. Overall, nice tonal balance and fine stereo image.
thxs for the input guys,it really helps to get a review for skills developement
i havent been mixing very long,i'm just a amature,no schools i just read the help files in my daw.
i do it just for a hobby and as such i never follow any protocols,this way i get to personalize it.i'm glad somebody liked it,i really didnt think i did all that well.
the delay on the vocs was a tape delay plugin called watkat

http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=36

It was designed by Charlie Watkins in 1958 as hardware,but now its a free plugin.
i always try to create panning/space/stereo image from the perspective as if were live on stage.
btw,all tracks were mixed in mono
Hello jon stickle! I like a lot your drums and especially the lead and background vocals. The only minor thing is your balance. You need to make some choices about the automation volume between banjo and guitars. Apart from that I cannot hear your bass!! Its like you have muted it!! You are in the right way to my ears! Nice job!