Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apprehende-Still Flyin
Hi

Mixing and Mastering

Enjoy

.mp3    The Apprehende-Still Flyin.mp3 --  (Download: 6.25 MB)

Just FYI - the lead guitars + solos are desynchronized (late).
Unfortunately, the audio is delivered in this "desynchronized" state, so all of us have to manually correct it.
And, I think the "scream" vocals at the start of the bridge also suffer from the same desynchronization.

(spotify link to official release: https://open.spotify.com/track/72qovQ5Je...b1810e49b9)

First impressions:

----------------------------------
*** Bass ***
The bass has a prominent "pickiness" (twangy high-end) to it on the verses (and elsewhere).
It feels like this component of the bass guitar may be the loudest thing int he whole track.

The intention (I think) is to add "presence" to the bass.
I'm not sure if this would work for you, but my approach is:

1 . Send/copy the bass to another track
2. Add an amp sim (bass knob turned down a bit), with just enough distortion to catch the pickiness
3 . Mix with other bass, EQ the combination.

An approach like that might help add the "presence" you are going for, without the twangy/picky sound.

** Guitars **
They sound pretty good!
I think maybe they'd benefit from a bit of a lift at 2-5 kHz, and maybe a bit more body ~200 Hz.
My strat for guitar EQ is to deemphasize ~550 Hz (muddy/honky sounding) give it a bit of body, and then add ~2 kHz + higher for the presence.

(Like I said though, they sound pretty right/enjoyable already, so just tweaks I'd make).

*** Lead Guitars ***

(Like mentioned earlier, they're desynchronized)
Beyond the timing issues, though, I think these guitars sound a little too... wolly/muddy?
I can understand the extra "body" they have - helps it stand out from the regular guitars.
But, the "presence" isn't really there. In the region 1-6 kHz - where the details all live - they're really hard to hear.

** Drums **

The drums sound pretty good!
Kick - maybe more ~100 Hz "punch"? (not sure how much mastering affected it)
Snare - Maybe more snap (1.5 → 6 kHz), to get it as snappy as the Kick is?
Toms - Very dramatic - which is cool! But, maybe a few dB too loud?

*** Vocals ***
The vocals sound natural, organic sounding!
Compression is just enough to keep it "in the pocket".
EQ sounds very smooth!
Maybe a wide lift @ 4 kHz, +1 or +2 dB, might help them cut a tiny bit more? Maybe a +1 or +2 dB shelf up at 8 kHz?
Not necessary - they sound very good as-is.

Overall, pretty good!
Other than the bass "pickiness", I think you've made a pretty good sounding track here.

(PS: Overall it'd be nice if it felt a little "wider" - more hard-panning, fill out the entire stereo field, stuff like that).
Hi

Thanks for your advice
Those parts are definitely out of time. It's a known issue with the multitracks.
Edit: I've pulled some info from previous post of mine about it:

Quote:The electric guitar tracks 3 to 10 and the 4 Scream vocal tracks need to be aligned. They're all off by the same amount so group them together to do the editing. They need to be moved forward. I've found that using Electric Guitar tracks 4 and 5 to line up the files at the first chorus is the easiest way to visually align them with the rest of the song. Check the preview track and other mixes on here to see where they should be.