Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resurrection (Sano mix)
My mix of Resurrection.

.m4a    Resurrection (Sano mix).m4a --  (Download: 11.71 MB)

Sounds great here!
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Hey there sano,
I was surprised by your mix!
Personally, I thought it was a bit too muddy - Though, in your case, it seems more like a personal preference. Smile
Aside from that, I think that the vocals are a bit loud compared to the drums & bass while the snyth-leads are very quite, especially in mono. I am not listening with my KRK's right now, though I do know how it usually sounds on these monitors.
But in any case, I can feel the creativity in the heart of this mix right there! I like what you did with the leads, the Bass has a nice distorted, saturated and phat sound, well done!
The intro should have had a less aggressive bass from the beginning as the bass isn't as surprising at some parts of the track - one of the reasons why I distorted the original bassline in the break less than the rest of the track anyways. Again, just another subjective comment.
I see that you like LCR panning, the chorus-leads are very far out to the left / right. That's good for some, but if you put this track into Mono, the leads are nearly inaudable. The mix itself seems also very centered and less stereo, perhaps the pads at least could use some more width - I loooove width, when used appropriately. Quite a pity, as this mix delivers a great deal of creativity! The filter on the first lead in the chorus ( the one on the left ) has a nice filter on it, really diggin' it, and that bass-supporting-synth has a nice, slow LFO attached to a Filter - Even I didn't think of something as simple, yet nice sounding as that.

If you could make sure that it's a bit more compatible in Mono ( Ergo, doublechecking the EQ on everything while listening to the mix in mono and so on ) and play with the balance of the vocals & leads a bit, I am pretty sure that this can sound pretty wicked - Keep it up mate! Smile
Cheers
I got to admit I never checked mono compatibility on this one. I took it to the stage where I happy with the mix and then usually start tweaking it, but failed to take it further this time, I'm defiantly gonna go back and take a look at all the points you've raised.

Here's my updated version. I tried to address the areas you highlighted. I think the mono compatibility is better now and I added more stereo width to the mix.

.m4a    Ressurection (Sano mix)_2.m4a --  (Download: 11.75 MB)

Hey there,
I see that you took very little steps not to overmix the track - I really like your thinking right there.
The only problem is that I can hear just a little TOO little steps. Stereo sounds nearly exactly the same, which is great if that was wanted.
The mono sounds better already, but again, the synth-leads are still quite quiet and it sounds like background-synths.
In any case, the mix already sounds better is what I'm trying to say. Smile
Ok I had another go, lol. I gave it a little bit more stereo width again and raised the level of the leads. Smile

.m4a    Ressurection (Sano mix)_3.m4a --  (Download: 11.92 MB)

Hey Sano!
Your mix sounds really solid and massive at this point, great job!
Again, making sure it's compatible with mono is always a relatively safe method to make sure that everything is in balance in stereo, as well.
I can hear that every instrument is more audible in mono now, though the synth-lead on the right is still not really audible in mono sadly.
Personally, if I knew that I won't present it on any official website for contests or such sort of things, I would leave it as it is.
If you do, however, like to get it closer to perfection, I'd fiddle around with that issue for a bit.

In any case, great mix mate! Smile
Cheers