Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'Happy PillsV2'
Rockkkk!

Always enjoy some Candlebox Smile

V2 - Added some brightness, and changed up the snare to be a little less snappy, more roomy!

.mp3    Happy Pills.mp3 --  (Download: 7.79 MB)

.mp3    Happy PillsV2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.79 MB)

Overall, I like it. It's not perfect but I enjoyed listening to it which is all we ask. My only critique is the snare is a bit...short? It just feels like a pop or at least the attack is a lot louder than the rest of the signal. The mix could be a bit brighter but that's more of a mastering thing.

Also it's nice to hear a rock song in 6/8.
(27-07-2023, 02:30 PM)Roy Wrote: Overall, I like it. It's not perfect but I enjoyed listening to it which is all we ask. My only critique is the snare is a bit...short? It just feels like a pop or at least the attack is a lot louder than the rest of the signal. The mix could be a bit brighter but that's more of a mastering thing.

Also it's nice to hear a rock song in 6/8.
I completely agree with the snare being a Pop. The compressor on it is more like a giant expander at the front end, probably too much for the song. I played around with a few choices and ended up with the snappy one, as it ducked out the bleed without me having to do too much. Kinda just set and left it. I spent most the time getting the EQ balanced on all the tracks, and making sure the low end isnt too flabby. I almost ended up boosting the high end a few 4 or 5dbs with some multiband compression, but for some reason I took it off? I suppose I was in a darker mood for the tones.

I'm gonna change some things to your suggestions! 

And yeah its always nice to not steer into a typical 4/4 signature. 6/8 feels like Rock from the get go. I also enjoy the quality of the Telefunken sessions. The bleed was something that overwhelmed me first starting out mixing the session multis, but after a while I found what I liked that's universal. Sometimes a clipper to level out the kicks and snares, Gates to make them clean, compressor and Eq. honestly its basically every track haha maybe a touch of saturation if a sound calls for it.

No need for anything more fancy. From there adding reverbs and delays where needed makes sense. Depends on the vibe. I do like working on Mix Busses and the Master. Having drums, bass, guitars, synths, and vocals separated. Having the main busses all work together is important. Also its another time to add compression to give them the proper sense of space, or if things conflict with each other they can be sidechained! Sometimes I use multiple compressors on the Master, usually a surgical one and then one that drives or moves the song as necessary. If all that's goes well, Usually the song is nice and loud before a limiter has to come close to touching it. This particular song I'm using ALOT of compressors on everything. 

But anyways on that note I'll go in and make some changes now, and thanks for the listen! hehe Smile
Added V2 Smile