Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blackcapaudio - "Live" Mix
Hey y'all!

Different kind of mix from me here - I use these and some of the other Telefunken Live Session multitracks to teach some of my colleagues how to use the digital mixing desks we have at work for concerts we sometimes do and while we we're doing it yesterday I had a thought of trying to mix like that at home.

There's a definite difference between mixing live sound and mixing in the studio and so I wanted to see how I did in Logic, setting it up as though it were a desk and using Logic Remote on iPad as the control surface. Every channel just has the stock gate, EQ and compressor on it, including the master (mmmm, mixbus compression) and I only had 3 "spare" mixbuses for summing (imagining the others were being used for monitor mixes). Only had 3 FX slots as well with two reverbs and a delay.

Anyway here's the mix done as though it were "live", did a couple of passes of the song a la soundcheck and then, as it was going to be immortalised forever online, I did do a couple of passes writing some volume automation by hand on the faders to bring out bv's, horns, guitars etc. where they needed to become a feature.

I will add the caveat that this track has so much energy it is hard to make it sound bad so I did pick this knowingly as a kind of "easy mode" for trying this out haha

Happy Mixing Y'all!

(UPDATE: Put a version up with a few little tweaks and some master limiting just to get the volume up into the ballpark of everyone else on here, there's some great mixes of this one about!)

.mp3    Remember Jones Live test.mp3 --  (Download: 7.68 MB)

.mp3    Remember Jones Live Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.68 MB)