Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Place For Us
I had a very hard time mixing this.... 69 tracks...

My computer crashed several times while trying to gently guide the intonation of the backing vocals Sad so I wound up spending an entire afternoon submixing each set of backing vocals one at a time after correcting the tuning. It was worth it, this is a great song, but unfortunately submixing like that always comes with some uncomfortable compromises...

Lots of crazy stuff going on in the bass, too... hopefully I've sorted that out. I was going for the huge vocal sound that Fun got on the song Some Nights. Comments would be appreciated... I busted my buns on this one.

.mp3    A Place For Us - Submixed.mp3 --  (Download: 7.94 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
submixing can also work better because you tend to spend more time on the tracks rather than keep moving on quickly .
Yeah :/ I need to practice more. This doesn't sound as good as it did to me yesterday.
It don't sound too bad to me,kick a bit papery maybe.
It's the mud on this one that's killing me. Getting the bass and kick to agree is really frustrating for some reason... this might be one of those songs better off low cut at 40. Thanks for listening.
That's what I did in the end just stripped it all back
Hi, Pauli. I think you should add more trebble because I'm finding the mix a little bit too dark and it needs some kind of 'shine' thoughout the song.

I always make subgroups. One of the best series of videos I've found in order to get better mixes is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...RF5X8GqWSa

I you have time (there are 7 long videos there), do watch them. Looking how this guy mixed the song from start to end, made me get a routine when mixing and I can tell you that I started getting clearer mixes right after watching it and applying the same workflow with my mixes.

I hope it helps Smile
mixing since April 2013
Im listening on low volume,mains.
I miss some lows and the lead vocal a bit more aggressive, distortion or a 1176 compression or both, think that would make a big difrence. The bv sound sweet, that work paid of !
If the kick isnt to your taste you can always replace it, I mentioned it before, but its good stuff so here goes again:
6 bit deep makes excellent free samples.
http://www.sixbitdeep.com/Six_Bit_Deep__...esign.html
Ive used many of their kicks and their latest addition, claps nĀ“bangs all over that Siren Georgia Wonder song with the many tracks.

To sum it up: Its a good mix, just needs more impact and lo and a more aggressive leadvocal. if you ask me that is :-)
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Hey guys, thanks for listening and suggestions!

Juan: I actually cut the treble with a high shelf on the master bus :S because it was a little grating for me... but that's probably why you're missing it. I'm probably better off finding the source instruments of the treble issue and cutting only those... 69 tracks is a ball-buster and I tend to lose sight of those details.... same thing happened with my first disaster attempt at Siren.

Niells: I wonder if the compressors on the vocals are killing the aggression, I agree with you. I probably need to fiddle with attack and release times, and distortion is a really good idea, too. You know, replacing the kick almost never occurs to me until I spend 4 hours trying to fix low end issues that just aren't fixable, but I think you're right... it's possibly the only solution to get the sound I want.

Great suggestions guys, I really appreciate it.
Hello pauli! I will agree at all with Voelund. I believe it's a very good mix and very well balanced if you take in mind how difficult may be to mix 69 tracks!! Apart from what he said I would tell you to try to put some more reverb on the drums and the vocals! To my taste this kind of music needs very powerful and impressive drums and vocals. If you try a parallel compression and a send reverb to these two objects in addition to the things that Voelund said above you will have a great mix (that's what I believe)!!!