Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actions - Devil´s Word´s Mix/Master
So this is my first time mixing recorded "real instrument" music, usually i produce/mix electronic music.
I wanted to challenge myself, and try something different, maybe learn some new things whilst doing.
Feedback is appreciated.

Did a revision with a fresh set of ears, some minor tweaks and overall frequency cleanup.

.mp3    Mixdown Practice 23.mp3 --  (Download: 7.47 MB)

.mp3    Mixdown Practice REV1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.47 MB)

I did another revision because i got hold of some new tools, also letting the mix sit for a while and come back at a later time is always a good thing for me.
I also referenced against some other Punkpop songs, and against my older versions of course.
I was able to better control some of the energy that i injected in the first place trough some adjustments on the limiting of the drums.
Further frequency cleaning on vocals bass and guitars.
The overall gain from these things is a bit less push into the masterchain, which results in a more open and less aggressive master.
Maybe i will try mixing it in a different vibe in the future

Revision No. 3

Upon the feedback i got from leon_hardy
i sat down again, and changed the following:

removed some bloat on the bass guitar, gave the overheads a bit more room to breathe, sidechained the midfrequencyband of the chorus guitars to the leadvocal, so the vocal is not overpowered by the guitars in the chorus sections

Mix/Masterbus: lowered the low-mid frequency band on the Pro-MB by a small amount, added Gullfoss with a bit of Tame and Recovery to further smooth out the overall frequency balance

.mp3    Mixdown Practice REV2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.47 MB)

.mp3    Mixdown Practice REV3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.47 MB)

Hi Flowie! Great balance and energy in your mix, the guitars sound so full and punchy, exactly what this song needs in my opinion.
A few things that I noticed: I think the mix is a bit low-mids heavy, I think that if you cut around that area especially on bass it will reveal the hi-mid range a lot more. I also feel that the chorus vocals get a bit overwhelmed when the whole band kicks in (which is a problem I too faced when mixing it). Anyway, great mix! If you want, check out my version of this song.
(01-08-2023, 03:08 PM)leon_hardy Wrote: Hi Flowie! Great balance and energy in your mix, the guitars sound so full and punchy, exactly what this song needs in my opinion.
A few things that I noticed: I think the mix is a bit low-mids heavy, I think that if you cut around that area especially on bass it will reveal the hi-mid range a lot more. I also feel that the chorus vocals get a bit overwhelmed when the whole band kicks in (which is a problem I too faced when mixing it). Anyway, great mix! If you want, check out my version of this song.
Hey leon!

thanks for your constructive feedback, as i am listening and concentrating specifically on the things you mentioned, i have to agree with you. I will try some different things to get rid of the low-mid bloat, for the chorus part problem i think of slightly multiband sidechaining the guitars to the vocal track. Will upload the result.
(03-08-2023, 05:18 PM)Flowie Wrote:
(01-08-2023, 03:08 PM)leon_hardy Wrote: Hi Flowie! Great balance and energy in your mix, the guitars sound so full and punchy, exactly what this song needs in my opinion.
Hey leon!

thanks for your constructive feedback, as i am listening and concentrating specifically on the things you mentioned, i have to agree with you. I will try some different things to get rid of the low-mid bloat, for the chorus part problem i think of slightly multiband sidechaining the guitars to the vocal track. Will upload the result.
Hello again Flowie! 
I think you new revision is great! The bass especially during the verses is driving the groove so much more. One thing I noticed about your balance that I'll try to implement in my mix is that you kept the volume of the double tracked vocal fairly lower than the lead one, which I think reduces the modulation effect and improves the punch of the vocals during the chorus, great!
Hey, so i decided to mix this one again, 
i started nearly from scratch and switched most things regarding the processing to really end up with a different result compared to the first mixes i did.
this time i went for a more compact and focused mix.

.mp3    Mixdown Practice 23 DIFFERENT.mp3 --  (Download: 7.47 MB)

Overhauled it once again,

this time i did a complete edit on the drums, created samples (out of the original tracks for snare and toms) and replaced each hit with the samples (removed the bits in between) to get a much cleaner overall drumsound.
reworked the drum processing, reverbs, compressor, limiter etc.
some automation changes between choruses and verses
used gentle sidechain ducking on several elements to kick and snare, for a more modern sound
reworked the guitars and the vocal
stripped down / reworked the master chain.

.mp3    Mixdown Practice 23 V3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.47 MB)