Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Pennies" Mix from a n00b...
So here's my take on "Pennies".

First, I wanna point out that I'm a total n00b when it comes to audio engineering. That said, I was not completely unaware of the recording process and I've got a pretty good head on my shoulders. My ear is well trained for detail because I've been playing one instrument or another both alone and in groups since I was a kid (I'm now a fraction over the 40 mark). I started taking classes at the local community college ad the end of August 2013 and had never even seen a DAW until January of this year when I started learning protools. Let me say that I have had some very good instructors! Not having $600 to spend (plus plugins!) I bought a copy of Sonar X3 Studio (using my student ID to drop the price down a fair piece) and that's what I mixed this in, using nothing but what Cakewalk supplied with the package.

Oh, and a reminder to the other folks submitting mixes. When looking at a drum kit, please do not forget to examine phasing. You do not know if it was corrected to tape or left as is. This one was as-is. I had to flip the top snare (the bottom mic receives the first in-phase impuse so I consider that the central reference and judge the rest of the mics based on that) and the room mics. I note this because the last mix I listened to had a very thin ringy snare sound and that's what I've discovered happend when I was working on a school project back in early April so figured I'd point that out.

Now, my comments about my mix...

I wanna say that that drum kit was very hard to deal with. That was probably 40% of my time. I went slow and was very picky and, being new, also had to redo some things I realize I did wrong. So total time spent on this was roughly 25 hours. I don't mind because it was a learning experience. The big issue I had was that there was so much bleed into the kick mic that it was hard to get just the kick. That and the ~80-100hz tone. Took some creative EQ to tamp that down where I was happy with it while still having a good thump. I found the overheads all but useless and the room mics were more like front-of-kit mics. The snare was so prominent in those that the close mics on the snare didn't add much. That was also where the cymbals came through the clearest so I couldn't just turn it down and use the others. Then there was the little surprise of a second concert-type snare drum at the end that didn't have its own track and showed up in both the kick and room mics. Had to copy those to a separate track to try to bring that out.

It took me a while to figure out what the engineer's intentions were with the guitars--why there were four coppies of each part. About half way through, I realized that each guitar was recorded with stereo mics. Things started to become pretty clear once I figured that out. You can tell this because if you solo A and B and then polarity reverse one they largely cancel. These were meant to be panned hard right and left. There were then two subsequent mono takes for coloration and panning effects, although the stereo tracks help narrow the field a bit.) The engineer did this to add body to the track and then give himself some flexibility. I've thought about this sort of thing while I was doing research earlier in the year and ran across a few interesting articles.

I, however, took a little different approach with the guitars. I did do that for the lead and third part but then ran all four tracks through a stereo sub. These three subs I then ran through another sub to create a guitar stem. panning and volume effects were applied to the subs but the compression, expanders, etc were applied to the individual tracks with EQ on both the individual tracks as appropriate as well as the stub. Another EQ was applied to the stem but this one was just to allow me to duck out the central band of the vocals and bass so they would spend less time fighting each other in the mix. I'm not entirely satisfied that I did that properly since I still had to put the vocals a tad above where I felt they belonged.

I mixed using mainly headphones since I don't have monitors per se, just PC speakers that, while not bad, definitely do NOT have a flat response. Thus my low end may be a bit higher than I want it to be.

As a final note, I will point out that I did *not* listen to the posted sample track AT ALL except for about 30 seconds when I was picking out a song to download. (That was about 10 days ago.) Nor did I listen to any of the posted tracks until I was better than 95% done. When I got done with my mix and compared it to what was originally done, I was frankly astonished by how close many of my decisions were to that mix. I swear, I didn't copy! Honest to goodness! Their mix seems a bit fuller than mine but I think mine has a little more clarity.

I hope you like it. Any comments on things that I might have done differently/better/more creatively are welcome. It was quite a trip working on this and I did indeed have a good time doing it.

Enjoy!

Oh, to the site managers... the text file you include with these zip files... It'd be nice if you included a list of mics and placement used if such information is to be had. Mainly just for interest.

.mp3    Pennies.mp3 --  (Download: 5.71 MB)

Old West Audio
So I had a change to listen to this track in a couple of different other environments along with listening to the track as posted on the band's website and I realized that I had a few things that needed to be fixed.
Among these were that I realized that I had too much top end on the guitar and not enough low end with much the same problem on the bass (too much attack, not enougbh body), while at the same time I didn't have enough top end on the vocals. I also added a touch more kick drum and widened the notch I've got around the thump to get a little more of that ring in there for a fatter tone.

Another small change I made was to guitar3. I have guitar1a and 1b panned hard left and right with the other two tracks dead center and then all four routed to a subgroup and panned off to one side. I had much the same setup on guitar3 but after reading a few posts here and reading the original SOS article discussing the other track, I decided that should change slightly. So now, to make them fit better spatially, I reduced guitar3's spread fo 75% instead of 100. If this were a dead center overall pan, this would let guitar3 sit inbetween the two sides of guitar1 and help it stand out more there as well.

Oh, one note I forgot to make when I posted yesterday. On the vocal tracks, I thought about using just a single track but I liked the way the imperfect double sounded. However, I found that when I had them panned identically, some of the dissonance that I found attractive disappeared. Well, I wanted to make the vocal sound broader anyway so I've got the two tracks panned like 12 or so points different and (to balance out the guitar's position) just a titch off to the left. I found that having them a little different from each other helped bring back much of the character I was after. Just wanted to pass that little trick along in case anyone else found it useful.

The mix could almost certainly benefit from a little multiband compression especially mid-range (800Hz-4.5kHz) but I'm unable to do that without going through time consuming hoops to fake it. (I tried to do so earlier in a real-time fashion but processing all that data sent my CPU over the edge and I started to get pops and so on so had to just accept what I had.)

Anyway, here's a new mix with a few other small corrections. I also encoded the MP3 with a higher sample rate than I did last night so it should sound better and all.

.mp3    Pennies-20140508.mp3 --  (Download: 7.61 MB)

Old West Audio
One last mix... Finally got the balance under control, I believe. Amazing what the proper application of compression can do!

[May 25, 2014: updated attachment to reflect more recent tweaks. Still not perfect but probably as good as I can get it without starting over.]

.mp3    Pennies-20140524.mp3 --  (Download: 9.52 MB)

Old West Audio
Hi,the kick is spoiling your mix a bit but I don't think you have any drum trigger software.
The vox are also very loud for the rest of the mix,the guitars are also very loud and drowning out the snare etc
Maybe you could mix again and try to get a little better balance with the guitars and drums.
Will look forward to hearing your next mix of it.Your main problem here is those guitars are way too loud.
This is one of the hardest songs i have tried ,replacing the recorded kick drum getting the drum kit pumping is a challenge Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts